Gas in is leaking!! help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasben

Reaction score
Hit my beer with 20psi and gas is not going in. Replaced the O ring and lubed it. When I turn the gas on you can tell some goes in but I can feel it spraying out as well. Wasting c02 trying to fix this. Any ideas?

Silly question, but there are a finite number of reasons why it could be leaking... You have your gas-in diptube in place, no?

Yes. I think it might be the pop it...not sure though. This beer is for aa wedding next week so im in a hurry to fix it. When I take it off though I hear a little air escape the top for a few seconds

Connecting to the correct post with the correct QD? Use lube? :eek:

Did you use the correct poppet for the post? It should pop back up and seal when the QD is removed. Try using a fresh poppet under the post. Also check the o-ring under the post (is it there?).

I have had a poppet failure rate of over 50% with the used kegs I've bought (from many sources). My guess is that's your culprit. You might be able to get it to seal up with some keg lube. But even if that's the issue, the keg should be holding pressure as long as the disconnect is attached, since the poppet is disengaged at that point. If gas is leaking when the the disconnect is attached, then it has to be either the diptube/o-ring seal or the post o-ring...

I love the new universal poppets and am swapping out my old ones for them.

Problem is there is beer in the keg...worried about replacing all this with beer inside...hope it can be done

I have four of the new universal poppets that I'm going to be trying in different kegs and posts. If they work well I'll start getting more and change everything over. These aee not as cheap as other poppets but it they work better/last longer then it's worth it to me.

I had a similar problem with a couple kegs a couple weeks ago - just pulled the posts off, lubed up the poppets, put everything back together again, and no more leak. Hope you're as lucky!

Tried to take it all apart. And lube it up. small dip tube looks warped a little...could this be it? Everything looked ok but the rim of the dip tube where the o ring sits below was warped for sure

do you have a spare keg? change the gas post and then you can mess with the poppit and test it on an empty keg

Poppets haven't been replaced in god knows how long. Probably time to take care of reassembling things...hope that works...so annoying. I wanna drink this vanilla oatmeal stout!

Back