Game of Thrones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally get to see The Mountain! And it seems Arya is making amends with The Hound. Sandor Clegane maybe has a heart under all of that tough flesh?

we had seen The Mountain before, hadn't we? at the Tournament for The Hand?

almost took The Hound's head off

yeah i don't think we saw him w/o his armor before..

from reading the books i can count at least like 4 great more things that should happen before the end of this season.. not looking forward to having a week off because of the holiday :-(

We've seen The Mountain several times. The actor playing the character has changed, 3x I believe. This new guy is by far the best cast of the 3.

Yes, I know of one big thing the is going to surprise everyone who hasn't read the books. Not sure how many weeks are left in this season, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens in the finale. I don't think it's too far off now.

3 episodes left.

The Mountain is perfect 6'9" and 400lbs........gulp

What I like is no camera tricks are necessary to show his imposing size.

This TV series has taken a HUGE step away from the books. Much better in my opinion. The next few episodes are stacking up to be HUGE!

The stuff is gonna hit the fan!!!!!!! Big Time!!!!!! The end of season cliff hanger is going to be epic!!!!!!!

Even Sansa is starting to show some thought behind her eyes. Arya & her team up? What could happen? My favorite character is still the Imp, but now 3 or 4 others are starting to ramp up. ;)

With the Red & Purple Wedding history, ANYTHING could happen & I'm sure it will!

Hello there, this thread dead? Anyone else pumped for the shortly upcoming new season?

I just want the next damn book to come out already.

Back to work, George.

Interesting read:

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/03/game-of-thrones-tv-show-will-spoil-books

HBO has said they need to wrap this up in 2 years, otherwise the actors (particularly the children) will be too old to make the parts believable. You can already tell the actor that plays Bran (Isaac Hempstead) is maturing faster than the plot his moving along.

George Martin has said he probably needs at least 5 more years to wrap up the series. That assumes he'll live that long.

George Martin has said he probably needs at least 5 more years to wrap up the series. That assumes he'll live that long.

My greatest fear is that he'll spend so much time doing these damned book tours and working on the show that he'll be dead before the last book is even written.

Given the amount of satisfaction he seems to get by pissing off fans, I have to consider the possibility that he has no intention of finishing. His final "f*ck you" to his readers before he dies. :D

i did read a while back that he did share the general plotlines for the rest of the story with the tv show's producers, so whether that was for in case he doesn't finish, or just so they know how to video certain aspects i guess we won't know.. but i am so pumped about it starting.!!!!!

Edit: broadbill's link talks about the creators knowing as well.. good read!

The show creators knowing the ending makes this season an interesting season of speculation for book readers, given all the plotlines that seem to be completely cut, does that mean those plotlines don't matter in the books? Or does it mean that the show creators are simplifying things and trying to avoid "spoiling" certain plotlines for book readers?

I just started A Dance With Dragons and it is very apparent to me, having finished A Feast For crows, that while the books and the show will arrive at the same ending, they must be getting there via very different routes. The events of books 1-3 are shown straight forward by the show. Not so with book 4 and, so far, book 5.

By the way, I have zero problem with the books and the show diverging. To the contrary, I like seeing how the tv show shakes it up.

I just started A Dance With Dragons and it is very apparent to me, having finished A Feast For crows, that while the books and the show will arrive at the same ending, they must be getting there via very different routes. The events of books 1-3 are shown straight forward by the show. Not so with book 4 and, so far, book 5.

By the way, I have zero problem with the books and the show diverging. To the contrary, I like seeing how the tv show shakes it up.

If I'm not mistaken, Martin decided to split the plots up between books 4 and 5. So while events are happening at the same time in each book, book 4 focuses on certain people and locations, while book 5 covers that same time period but different people and locations.

The show does not do that, so it makes it seem like they are diverging from the story more than they actually do.

Dude butts everywhere. Also, an interesting change from the books, Jon Snow openly defies Stannis by shooting Mance Rayder before he can burn to death, but otherwise, it was just generally a "Hey, here's where everyone is right now!" episode. Curious to see how they build up throughout the season to something more meaningful.

I've read them a few times waiting for him to finish the series. Don't become attached to any characters.
4p.jpg

Dude butts everywhere. Also, an interesting change from the books, Jon Snow openly defies Stannis by shooting Mance Rayder before he can burn to death, but otherwise, it was just generally a "Hey, here's where everyone is right now!" episode. Curious to see how they build up throughout the season to something more meaningful.

Come on, there were a fair amount of titties too.

Not a bad refresher episode. I was actually dreading the John Snow stuff because it's kind of long and drawn out in the book. There is just more going on to get to the point, so I'm glad they shortened it up in the show.

I like that they gave you a hint of the dragons. There isn't a lot going on in the books with them yet either, but you get the idea from the short scenes they filmed.

I'm most excited to see Tyrion's travel and of course, Arya's new adventure. Brienne should be close to meeting you-know-who IIRC.

I'm not reading the spoilers here... just thought I'd drop a note that I just started watching and I'm hooked. Watched 3 episodes, enamored with the blonde girl that is wedded to the drogo leader (I know I got the names wrong). She's preggers.

I won't read any replies to this post, so don't bother :) I've got several seasons to watch before I get back to this thread.

Tried to read the books many years back, too many characters, couldn't hold on. Love the cinematography. Images of the wall and elevator and stuff are super cool. Love all the medieval scenes.

I'm not reading the spoilers here... just thought I'd drop a note that I just started watching and I'm hooked. Watched 3 episodes, enamored with the blonde girl that is wedded to the drogo leader (I know I got the names wrong). She's preggers.

I won't read any replies to this post, so don't bother :) I've got several seasons to watch before I get back to this thread.

Tried to read the books many years back, too many characters, couldn't hold on. Love the cinematography. Images of the wall and elevator and stuff are super cool. Love all the medieval scenes.

Dont worry. The plethora of characters die off quick enough (as soon as you start caring about them).

How do you like that mug? I was considering ordering one, but I read some reviews that say they leak and smell bad.

Well, some people think horses and cows smell bad. I bet the people who drank from these back in the day were probably used to all of those kinds of smells.

They shouldnt leak. If they do they probably need re-waxing or for the wax to be remelted and spread out. The one pictured has a wooden bottom, like the leather mug I got many years back at a renn faire and the wax is what forms the seal between the two.

Then again, I may be wrong. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken about the horns being waxed inside.

They shouldnt leak. If they do they probably need re-waxing or for the wax to be remelted and spread out. The one pictured has a wooden bottom, like the leather mug I got many years back at a renn faire and the wax is what forms the seal between the two.

Then again, I may be wrong. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken about the horns being waxed inside.

I don't have one, but have seen them at ren faires in the past and I think they are waxed to keep the drink from soaking into the wood or leather.

Depending on the wood, it might not necessarily need to be waxed to last a while, but most water resistant woods will impart a fairly strong smell or taste. Not necessarily a bad thing IMO. It's part of what makes drinking from such a vessel so interesting.

FWIW I have a brass drinking mug I bought from a place and everything tastes bad from it. I didn't expect that, but while it looks like some kind of pirate drinking mug, I can't drink from it. Maybe I should wax it??

I don't have one, but have seen them at ren faires in the past and I think they are waxed to keep the drink from soaking into the wood or leather.

Depending on the wood, it might not necessarily need to be waxed to last a while, but most water resistant woods will impart a fairly strong smell or taste. Not necessarily a bad thing IMO. It's part of what makes drinking from such a vessel so interesting.

FWIW I have a brass drinking mug I bought from a place and everything tastes bad from it. I didn't expect that, but while it looks like some kind of pirate drinking mug, I can't drink from it. Maybe I should wax it??

Yeah, my leather mug, imparts the leathery odor which does seem to add a little something. The food grade wax that came on the inside seals the crack between the bottom and the leather and keeps the drink from soaking into the leather like bugs will in a barrel of beer.

I can imagine the brass mug will impart flavor. You can taste that metallic brassy flavor easily. I would imagine that some food grade wax coating the inside, or a layer of some sort of a sealer would help block the flavor transfer. You may be better with a sealer layer though as just putting your mouth on the mug will give you the flavor on your lip and sealing only the inside may not be enough. Sounds like a cool mug though.

Yeah, my leather mug, imparts the leathery odor which does seem to add a little something. The food grade wax that came on the inside seals the crack between the bottom and the leather and keeps the drink from soaking into the leather like bugs will in a barrel of beer.

I can imagine the brass mug will impart flavor. You can taste that metallic brassy flavor easily. I would imagine that some food grade wax coating the inside, or a layer of some sort of a sealer would help block the flavor transfer. You may be better with a sealer layer though as just putting your mouth on the mug will give you the flavor on your lip and sealing only the inside may not be enough. Sounds like a cool mug though.

It looks like a cheap movie prop. nothing fancy, but still pretty cool.

I should polish it up and try to wax it. It may be just the brass, but IIRC (it's been years since I drank from it) it tasted more like chemicals. Maybe residual something from a polishing at one time.

Samwell: "A wildling girl, a baby and Lord Janos, I found them there after the battle was over in a puddle of his own making,"
seriously, how much of The Wall will be melted in order to soothe THAT burn?

but an even better line:
Varys: "Are you really going to spend the entire trip to Volantis talking about the futility of everything?"
Tyrion: "You're right, no point."
The Imp's still got it

I was getting HBO for free the last three months from Time Warner. Spent at least four Sundays watching GOT marathons. Also saw the first two episodes of season five. The freebe ended. Too cheap to purchase HBO, but I am already having withdrawal symptoms. Great series. I will miss it. :(

I was getting HBO for free the last three months from Time Warner. Spent at least four Sundays watching GOT marathons. Also saw the first two episodes of season five. The freebe ended. Too cheap to purchase HBO, but I am already having withdrawal symptoms. Great series. I will miss it. :(

If you have high speed Internet, you can still find a way to watch.

After each episode the Internet is FLOODED with episodes. I mean, it a literal TORRENT! ;)

I'm starting to notice where the show is different from the books. Nothing that changes the story much, but just a few things.

I'm disappointed that there are so many threads going and it seems they hardly spend any time at all on any particular subplot. I was pretty excited to see Arya's venture into the Black and White, but they only touched the surface of that.

Also The Imp's infamous boat ride up the river didn't happen at all. I know that's kind of drawn out in the book, but it was interesting nonetheless.

I loved it when the guard at the door rubbed his head and said, "I hear it's good luck to rub a dwarf's head." and to which Tyrion replied, "It's even better luck to suck a dwarf's C***!"

Blank stare...

Latest posts

Back