Gambrinus 30L Dark Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewskey

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this stuff? I'm having a hard time finding a review or any reliable looking posts about this malt. I was thinking of using some in a Vienna lager, more of a Negra Modelo clone because of its darker color.

Thanks

I've not tried it so am not speaking from direct experience, but I read somewhere, I think, that it imparts some roasty flavors.

I use it in my house-IPA (dry, west-coast style). Great flavor impact. A little bicuit-y and a little caramel-y. Don't over-do it, it packs a decent malt punch. Off the top of my head I think I used less than a lb of it in a 5.5 gal batch.

I use it in my house-IPA (dry, west-coast style). Great flavor impact. A little bicuit-y and a little caramel-y. Don't over-do it, it packs a decent malt punch. Off the top of my head I think I used less than a lb of it in a 5.5 gal batch.
Would you say it's a mix of munich and biscuit or victory malt in the flavor? Based on the company's description I'm assuming that's what they are saying.

"A very deep kilned Munich malt with the color and flavor characteristics of roasted malt coupled with the mellow maltiness of Munich malt." Per the company description

Well I think Victory malt is just a special name for biscuit malt, so yeah, it's probably close to that with a touch of sweetness that regular biscuit/victory won't give you. It might even be a little darker than 30L, prob more like 35L.

Just made a beer with this at just over 20% and the rest was pilsner malt. You really get the munich malt flavor (comparing to chewing on a couple grains) even at this percentage. I still have to bottle the batch and then I'll get a better idea.

This is definitely a dominant flavor when used as the main specialty grain. To me there is a sweetness to the malt along with the toasted notes. I used this in an 8% beer and even with it going to 1.012 from 1.074 there is a dominant sweetness to it.

This is definitely a dominant flavor when used as the main specialty grain. To me there is a sweetness to the malt along with the toasted notes. I used this in an 8% beer and even with it going to 1.012 from 1.074 there is a dominant sweetness to it.

Interesting, thanks for the report back!

Back