GAH Exploding bottle!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
So I woke up this morning and got a text from my roommate. Apparently he suspected one of the bottles was leaking and didn't have time to clean it up. I investigated and turned out one of my bottles exploded from the bottom! The recipe I'm using is from the lemon lime hefeweizen that is found here on the board (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/first-all-grain-brew-lemon-lime-hefeweizen-314016/).

I talked to Austin Home Brew and the gentleman asked a lot of questions. We both came to the conclusion that it was the integrity of the bottle. First time this has ever happened to me. I usually use 4.5 oz of sugar but, when I told the guy I was making 6 gallons instead of 5, he threw in another .5 oz to be sure. I'm confident that I used the right amount of sugar so that shouldn't be a problem. I did hit my FG as well so it's not under fermented. The last time I didn't hit my final gravity, I got way too much carbonation but, no bottles exploded. Although most of the bottles from that brew were stored in plastic bottles and plastic expands better than glass. My roommate and I do heat up the house when no one is home to 85 F from 76 F so that could have had something to do with it as well. Any ways, put the rest in a small pool of water in the tub to help prevent that. Plus if it does blow, it will be in a tub instead of all over the closet. Going to throw out all the recycled bottles when brew is done and just go out and buy brand new ones instead. The one that blew was a 1 pint, 6 oz New Belgium Indian Pale Ale. Glass wasn't as thick compared to the home brew store bought bottles from what I noticed. 22oz gone, another 5.8 gallons left.

I'm thinking after this incident I should probably stick to plastic bottles instead seeing that they expand better than glass (although glass does look nicer). I also think that the sugar from the Simply Limeaid that was added at the end could have added more sugar for the carbonation so I probably should have used less. What do y'all suspect? Suggestions for next time (I do want to make this brew again in the future)?

Glass is fine, I've had 2 bottles blow from the bottom too though. It happens, who knows why, but nothing to really worry about. Just don't condition your beers on the carpet.

How long did you let the limeade ferment out?

This is his problem, atleast from what i can read. He used the same amount of priming sugar for a batch and added in simply limeade to give it a lime flavor, not realizing that its a fermentable.

OP, I would check those bottles, taking preventative measures is a good thing but when its certain that most if not all of those bottles are going to burst i would uncap and recap every bottle, while tedious its better than having 50 bombs in your tub!!

Ah crap I think I did read it wrong. I thought I was suppose to ferment for 2 weeks THEN add the limeaid at the end and bottle it. **** I think I just messed up the whole brew.

You could slowly and carefully pour the bottles back into a well sanitized fermentor bucket, and let it totally ferment out. Then re-bottle with some limeade OR priming sugar. Avoid splashing and "glucking" when pouring them out. You want to keep oxygen exposure to a minimum.

I Just burped every single bottle I used. Luckily I only used 10 bottle cap glasses, 12 pop top bottles, 8 plastic bottles and 2 two liter soda bottles. They are in the tub right now with a little bit of water like the guy at AHS suggested I do. It is possible that I can put it back in the fermenter but, I already have the limeaid and priming sugar mixed in. Is that going to be a problem? Should I just leave it as is? I'm planning on making this brew again because I have hops left over.

Right now I have to fight with my roommate because of one bottle exploding. He is saying I can't brew anymore because of this incident (first time ever happened) but, that's my problem to take care of. Ugh roommates.

The flip-top and plastic ones are easy to burp. So no need to pour anything out. All your bottle contents is safely stored under a layer of CO2. You may need to burp the glass ones a couple more times, depending on how much total sugar was added.

Dealing with a roommate is gonna be a tougher subject, and not my specialty. Unless he owns the place I think there is plenty of room for brewing. Some guys (and girls too) just want to exert their power and abuse it at will. When the bully gets bolder....

Hard to say. Depends on yeast activity and temperature. Use your plastic bottles as a gauge, you can feel how hard they are.

If you took a FG reading before you added the Limeade and priming sugar, you could check the gravity (hydrometer) each week (or 2 weeks) until it reaches that same FG + Priming Gravity, then let them carb up.

OK well I think for now I'm just going to leave them in the bottles instead of risking contamination. My plastic bottles feel really hard right now.

I bought 1 oz of each of the hops from this brew and only used half of them so I'm going to make this brew again real soon and follow the directions much more carefully.

Went to the AHS and told them what my current situation is. Asked them how long I should keep burping them and they recommend just putting them in the fridge since it's over carbonated now. Gonna do this brew again but, follow directions MUCH MORE CAREFULLY. Lol

Latest posts

Back