FWH ordinary bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slarkin712

Reaction score
I'm going to be making an ordinary bitter this weekend and wanted to try FWH for the first time. First off, here's my recipe prior to converting to FWH:

Grains
6.5 lbs Maris Otter
.5lbs Crystal 60L
.25 lbs Crystal 120L
.5 lb Victory

Hops
.75 oz N. Brewer 10%AA 60min
1 oz EK Golding 4.7%AA 20 min
.75 oz EK Golding 4.7%AA 5 min

Yeast
Wyeast 1968 ESB

Mash at 154F 60min

I can't remember exactly but the OG is around 1.039 and IBUs 35. The N. Brewer are used as a relatively neutral bittering hop, although I do like their flavor. I'd really like to get good flavor from the EK Goldings. To convert this to FWH would I just move my 20 min addition? Or should I include my 5 min addition as well? Or should I do something different altogether. I have plenty of EK Goldings, so I can always add more. Also, I don't plan on dry hopping, but when the ferment is done I'll taste the sample and see if it needs it. Thanks for any feedback.

I'd FWH with an adjusted amount of EKG rather than using the NB, but that's just because I don't really like that woodsy flavor in non-dark/steam beers.

I'm not opposed to removing the N. Brewer, but I want to make sure that I get enough bitter bite that comes from high alpha 60 min additions.

Back