Funny Story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan42

Reaction score
I had to share. With the craziness of life I have not brewed in over a year and half or so. I even bought a new SB kettle and edelmetal burner that has been untouched until today. Well I was being a space cadet this morning and I am now mashing with my total water volume. :drunk: Good bye efficiency. :D So I think I will just vorlauf, drain, and rinse the grain bed with the first runnings. Take a pre boil gravity reading at 5 gal, and compensate with some DME. Ill let you know how it turns out. Hahaha.

Full volume mashing will cost you about 8 percentage points on lauter efficiency vs. a single batch sparge process, and about 13 - 15 percentage points vs. a well conducted fly sparge (a poorly conducted fly sparge can be as low as no-sparge.) Not a huge deal.

Also, rinsing with the first runnings accomplishes nothing. Better off just stirring well prior to vorlauf, then run off and drain as well as you can.

Brew on :mug:

Good info. Thank you. I really wasn't looking forward to making an extra full kettle lift anyway! I have two more batches in route to brew next time not too worried. Chugger pumps will be on the way for those batches too. Im not trying to get a hernia!

Well at least you're not me! Switched to a electric kettle for boiling, forgot to calculate the new boil off rate (it was a lot less than my old setup), i ended up seriously undershooting my OG. I mean not a few point but by A LOT. Then discovered I had no DME at home so I did an experimental thing with sugar syrup. I have no idea what to expect :p. It's gonna be special that's for sure!

I expect dry beer, with a pretty low IBU!

Back