Funky taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mChavez

Reaction score
Hi!

I have just finished bottling my first 2 batches of extract with specialty grains and 1 partial mash beer (I have only brewed kits before).

All 3 samples had the same strong funky off flavour. Quite yeasty, but also rubbery, with a bitter aftertaste and rather krausen-y.

All batches spent 3 weeks in primary and I used kolsch yeast for 2 batches and weissbier yeast for the third one (all white labs).

I was using DME for 2 of the beers (never used this DME supplier before) and LME for the third one. All hops were quite fresh. The beers were oktoberfast, extract wheat beer and extract rauch beer.

This was the first time I was fermenting in my controlled temp fermentation chamber so fermetation temp would have stayed within 18-22C mark.

I know it's too early and the beer is too young, but I never had the same off flavour when I was brewing kits, so I'm wondering if that's common for non-kit beers or perhaps white labs yeasties?

Thanks for your help!

mChavez said:
Hi!

I have just finished bottling my first 2 batches of extract with specialty grains and 1 partial mash beer (I have only brewed kits before).

All 3 samples had the same strong funky off flavour. Quite yeasty, but also rubbery, with a bitter aftertaste and rather krausen-y.

All batches spent 3 weeks in primary and I used kolsch yeast for 2 batches and weissbier yeast for the third one (all white labs).

I was using DME for 2 of the beers (never used this DME supplier before) and LME for the third one. All hops were quite fresh. The beers were oktoberfast, extract wheat beer and extract rauch beer.

This was the first time I was fermenting in my controlled temp fermentation chamber so fermetation temp would have stayed within 18-22C mark.

I know it's too early and the beer is too young, but I never had the same off flavour when I was brewing kits, so I'm wondering if that's common for non-kit beers or perhaps white labs yeasties?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.beerjudgeschool.com/uploads/Beer_Characteristics_Flash_Cards.pdf

Look under sulfur/yeast on page 20-22 and you will see the characteristics you describe as well as the possible causes so you can evaluate your process that attributed to these off flavors

Just to follow up, I bought myself a bottle of Kolsch and guess what... Same sulfury notes in the smell and, to a lesser extent, taste!

Must be the yeast & lack of ageing for my homebrew.

Back