Funky beer lover correlation to mushroom lovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaker

Beer Missionary
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thought crossed my mind tonight while drinking an O'so Restless Soul. I wonder if there is a direct relationship behind those that appreciate funky beers and those that enjoy the earthy taste of mushrooms.

Maybe this is more appropriately a drunken rambling.

Not a big fan of funky or sour beers, but mushrooms are one of my favorite foods and flavors. Maybe a drunken rambling, or maybe I'm the exception to the rule.

Sorry, not here either, although I'm the inverse. Love me some big sour beers, but fungus on the plate? Ugh.

I love both. Wife loves mushrooms (recent convert though), but hates funky beers

Not a big fan of funky or sour beers, but mushrooms are one of my favorite foods and flavors. Maybe a drunken rambling, or maybe I'm the exception to the rule.

Drunken rambling for sure.

I've always loved mushrooms. Funky sour beers are gross.

Funky beers yes, love them.

Mushrooms, no, 99% of the time no.

Dried mushrooms, love them, they are so much more meaty and umami.

I like all sorts of flavorful things- Thai food, Mexican food, hot sauces, fermented veggies, kim chee, mushrooms, IPAs, and so on, but never could get into funky or sour beers. There are some that are well known that I'd call "not terrible" but I would never choose them out of a menu of beer.

I grow mushrooms, and love them.

I like sours, not a huge fan of funkies though. Had a wine that reminded me of Orval and thought it fascinating but would not care to buy another.

I also like mushrooms. But don't get much of the earthy tone from many of them. I tend to gravitate more toward the meaty umami types. Crimini, ****ake, and Oyster comes to mind. Yet, I absolutely cannot stomach a Portobello. Even as fresh as I can get them they come across as fishy to me.

I'll take funky, spicy, hoppy, salty or bitter anything... food or drink. Mushrooms? Absolutely.

The only thing I really hate, is something that is too sweet.

Love both!

I always thought there could be more of a link between funky beer and funky blue cheese. I never liked blue cheese until I started drinking funky beer... now I eat huge chunks of it!

i love sour funky beers and i love mushrooms but ive never thought about the two together.

however i have had a few lambics with smells and tastes simliar to washed rind cheese.

I always thought there could be more of a link between funky beer and funky blue cheese. I never liked blue cheese until I started drinking funky beer... now I eat huge chunks of it!
beat me to it ;)

Put me down for loving both funky beers and mushrooms and throw stinky cheese (as my wife calls it) in there too. Hook's Tilston Point is wonderful.

love sour/funk, love the 'shrooms.

Why are there people here in the wild brewing forums saying funky beers are gross?
i was wondering something similar: why are they here at all? everyone is of course welcome, just seems like a weird thing to do. i don't like kombucha, so i don't hang out in the kombucha forum. why would i spend time reading about something i don't like?

but, welcome haters :mug:

I think the relationship is not as far fetched as the replies here suggest. After all, yeast is a fungus and a lot of wild/sour/funky beers have musty, earthy, and savory flavors in common with the edible mushrooms. The audience here is mostly American though, and we inherited a culture of mycophobia (aside from the single-celled variety, of course) from the British. Personally, I love mushrooms and funky beers.

I enjoy sour beers for sure, have several sitting in the "cellar." I have a totally and complete dislike of mushrooms, from taste to texture I can't stand them.

sour funky beers yes all day please

psilocybin mushrooms double yes:rockin:

Back