Fun with yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starderup

Reaction score
Did my first yeast starter with my Yeast Hog 1000 tonight, with some captured Coopers IPA yeast cake (just a test run), and my second wash with some PacMan yeast cake (following my first wash test with the same Coopers).
What a blast! Within 2 hours, the starter was foaming at the mouth, and my yeast wash is coming up beautiful light beige.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2209419800074286987wkolKv

That looks clean. Good job.

2209419800074286987S600x600Q85.jpg

Edit: WHAT, you did NOT use the Yeast Hog 1000 Airlock? (Ok, smart a question. Never mind.)

That looks clean. Good job.

2209419800074286987S600x600Q85.jpg

Edit: WHAT, you did NOT use the Yeast Hog 1000 Airlock? (Ok, smart a question. Never mind.)

LOL @ the edit! No, I do a helluva lot of research before I do anything, and eventually, I am going to get a 2L flask, and some other better way to trap the dust, but the foil cap suffices for now. Besides, I just picked up another fermenting bucket today, and that airlock will not go to waste.
BTW, all the new ones I have seen don't have that little 'star' at the end. Maybe enough of them plugged up that the manufacturers realized they were causing clogging problems.

Update on the starter: Checked it about 1:30 AM and it was humming away with about 2-3 inches of foam/krausen. It is noticably more milky in appearance. Lots of C02. This is going to be a great starter.

Back