Full Volume Mashing and False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radwizard

Reaction score
Hello!

I just finished building my new 2 vessel system and set out to do my first brew today. It was a total nightmare, as I could not get the grain bed to set as I continued to clog the hoses and pump.

I previously I have been recirculating using a BIAB bag and I never had any problems with flow or grains going through.

I have a SS Brew Tech False Bottom, conditioned my grains, and underletted the mash tun FWIW. On the SSBT site it says not enough grain as a cause of this - but I know many people are mashing with the full volume these days.

What do you think my issue is? Seriously that was such a PITA and I am hoping to not experience again.

Give the grains a few minutes to absorb water and settle for a bit before starting to recirculate. Once your temp has stabilized, after maybe 5 mins, slowly recirculate. Recirculating too fast can compact the bed causing poor efficiency. Everything needs to stay loose and flowing.

Agreed, it's all too easy to slam a bed tight if a "soft start" isn't used with the pump.
I underlet the entire strike volume at about 1 gpm, then wait a few minutes while changing the lines around, then give the mash one good stirring, wait another few minutes, then start the pump and sneak up to my typical 2~3 gpm recirculation rate over a minute or two...

Cheers!

Was wondering what you were seeing (no pics here) so I took a look.

DSC00253_2000x.jpg

Sheesh. What's up with that, anyway? Doesn't look like it'd take much to at least partially block that if not plug it.

Cheers! (Noticed the gasket. SSB caught up to me after all these years :))

I use a full volume no sparge mash process and under-let my strike water. How crazy are you stirring? the only issue I've had is getting stir crazy and then had grain end up under my false bottom where it could get picked up and clogged my pump. I'd agree with Bobby and say it's an issue with your false bottom. Some grain may not completely settle with the full volume but it shouldn't get into your recirculation system.

Latest posts

Back