Fruit Flies!!! +Questions [help!]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bathtub_Gin

Reaction score
After making a good batch of sugar wash, I decided to try my hand at making something actually good :mug:

I checked the kitchen, found some apples and decided to make delicious Cider (and maybe 'apple jack it' later on ;) ) but anyways...2 Apples, brown sugar, watered up the extra space. I also added a cup of applesauce since I only added two apples (1 Gallon total carboy).

I ciphoned some yeast from the last project and sat it to start, came back two days later today half expecting fermentation to start and I look to see about 5 fruit flies sitting on the floating apple cubes.

I'm sad I might have to dump it but I don't want to yet...and I'm wondering if leaving the apples in is a good idea or not

Also this might be the problem, but I don't see how directly but I didn't wash, or boil the apples. I wasn't sure if the old yeast would start up so I winged it and hoped wild yeast on the surface would start it. I just cut them and put them in

When I made Apple wine from apples, I always had fruit flies in the first fermentation, but rarely did I get a whole batch that went vinegar on me. Though to note, I didn't use natural yeast so this may make a difference for you.

Keep it if you want, might be good still. Personally i'd start over with an airlock, it's only 1 gallon. Fruit flies carry bacteria.

Latest posts

Back