Fruit Cocktail Wine???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sttifyd35

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has experimented with making wine out of fruit cocktail? I know the jars say preservative free. And i think the juice is pear juice. Would i use a pear wine recipe?

If it says "no preservatives" it'll make wine. Fruit cocktail cups, however, are the choice winemaking material of inmates usually. Not maligning anyone, it can be done, but the results I would be dubious about at best.

You might consider looking into frozen mixed fruit. There is a couple kinds at the reaturant supply store in my town that both make decent wine. A decent starter recipe is dragon's blood, a mixed berry lemon wine.

I hear what you are saying, but "prison hooch" would be quite different because they lack alot of the resources outside to be able to make a fine product dont you think?

I hear what you are saying, but "prison hooch" would be quite different because they lack alot of the resources outside to be able to make a fine product dont you think?

a chef is only as good as his ingredients (using the pronoun his for the purposes of ease), access to sanitizers and glass carboys makes little difference if you start with sub-par ingredients. It's comparable to a chef trying to make 5 star cuisine from Shamrock frozen fish sticks and american cheese. Is it food? certainly. Is it any good? somewhat debateable but still I think you get the idea. I agree with the frozen fruit mixes at grocery stores as opposed to fruit cocktail cups.

I think the bigger question is not really can you make wine out of the sugars and flavors of a fruit cocktail. The answer to that question is that you can make wine out of anything that has simple sugars. The real question is why would you want to do it? If the answer to that question is just because you want to see if you can then the floor is yours. but if the answer is that you think that it will make a really delicious drink then GIGO (garbage in, garbage out). But to each their own...

Latest posts

Back