Fruit at kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a batch of weiss that I'm going to add some blood orange to. I'm going to add this at kegging. Just wanted to run this past you guys. The end beer is not a clear beer so I figured clarity is not a concern about adding to the keg.

2.5 lbs / 6 oranges

Plan is to zest 4 and juice 6, heat in a sauce pan with a .5 - 1 cup of water for 170 @ 10 min to pasteurize, will chill it then filter it the follow day to add to the keg.

I was also thinking of taking zest from one quick soak in vodka and then put it in a hop bag for dry zesting in the keg.

Theres no problem adding it to the keg, as long as you have a fool proof system for stoping any solid bits from jamming the dip tube/serving line. Two, the sugars in the orange wont ferment at 40F, so the beer should be able to handle any additional sweetness (and the beer be free of any infection). And its a keg you plan on kicking in two to 3 weeks tops, so you dont have any potential problem with zest just floating in there for a couple of months. (not sure what would happen, but id err on the side of caution and drink it quickly.)

Awesome thanks, i may not dry zest it. I just starting to zest the oranges. Using a peeler on a very thin peel with no pith smells awesome now.

Back