Fruit additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smize12

Reaction score
Hey everyone, quick question I think for those who have brewed wit fruit quite a bit. Looking to add raspberry or blackberry or something to a wheat beer im putting together. My question is whats the best way to sanitize/prevent bacteria when adding fruit to the secondary. I'm curious what has worked for you all. I've made a few where I've added some fruit for subtle flavor in the end of the boil and had good results. But, something like this I want it to be more pronounced, so whats the best method for adding fruit to secondary.

Thanks!

I only add fruit to sours. The fruit stays in the beer for months. I might not be the best for advice, but this is what I do with fruit:

Freeze fruit. This breaks down the cell walls for the yeast to get to the juice, and kills off most bugs. Some will say that frozen fruit is OK to add to beer, but I am not convinced.

I add a little water (a very little) and heat the fruit to 150 F and keep it there for about 20 minutes. This is enough time to ensure it is heated through, and to pasteurize it. I try not to heat it too high, so that I don't set the pectins (permanent haze).

Then cool and add to beer. Fruit does not cool as easily as wort, so instead of trying to cool quickly, I just place a lid on it and leave it to cool naturally, and add it to the beer the next day.

Back