Froze My Wort after Pitching Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globe

Reaction score
I made a huge mistake plugging my freezer into the wrong plug on my STC 1000 and it just froze the beer/wort overnight after i pitched my healthy starter. Should I just thaw the beer and repitch a new packet of yeast, or just let it go to see if its ok.

Im assuming the yeast are not happy and or dead. Luckily I have a better bottle so it did not break, its not quite frozen solid, kind of like a hard slushie almost.

Glad your vessel didn't break!!

I would just let it thaw naturally and after it gets to 64 or so, hold it there and see if activity begins. I would hold off on new yeast until it has been at 64 for 24 hours.

I am not sure I agree. I suspect that you killed most if not all the yeast so even if it did go it would be seriously underpitched. I would pitch new yeast.

Upon further inspection, the center about 1 to 2 inches in is still liquid! So possibly didnt kill as much yeast. Thanks for the reply

I froze mine solid, and it is still one of the best beers I've had. Left the probe out of the freezer. I did it in secondary though. I added sugar when kegging to see if yeast died, they didn't all die. I got some pressure.

RDWHAHB

Well too update, I got it up to around 63 degrees or so and re pitched a new smack pack of yeast. The beer did finish a little high. It is still very good and really no off flavors, so i am considering myself lucky.

Back