Frigidaire 4.4 vs 4.5, need info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
I've been in the market for a fermentation mini-fridge for a bit, and I have narrowed it down to two fridgidaires that Best Buy carries... The first one, the 4.4 Cu Ft (BFPH44M4LM) I have seen been made into kegerators and it looks like people fit their buckets and carboys in w/ no modifications...

It seems that they have released a new version of this fridge, that is 4.5 cu ft (FFPE45B2QM), but there is little to no information on it... It is slightly bigger, but the shelves look like they interfere more, and I cannot verify that the freezer section is easily removable...

I went to BB but they were both boxed up? Right now i'm leaning towards saving the $10 and going with the old one that I know works, but I was wondering if anybody had any info about the new one...

Here are the links:

4.4 Cu Ft: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigidaire-4-4-cu-ft-compact-refrigerator-silver/9723554.p

4.5 Cu Ft: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/frigidaire-4-5-cu-ft-compact-refrigerator-black/5594012.p

thanks for your help...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It is a guess but it looks like there are more removable parts on the old model than there are on the newer one. Where the old model looks like the clear plastic shelves and front will come out (like on my fridge in my garage), the new one looks like it is a bar that can be removed but nothing more. I'd opt for the old model since you have no desire to cut the door as it seems.

Here's where I'm looking with the old model:
http://www.frigidaire.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Refrigerators/Compact-Refrigerator/FFPH44M4LM/

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about the door... Also really what major dif could .1 cu ft bring?

Anyways, I figured id post here before I pulled the trigger in case somebody else took the gamble first... If I had an SUV or truck id buy the new one, but returning is such a pita without a large vehicle

So does anybody have the BFPH44M4LM (4.4) and have any comments on it?

vince

So does anybody have the BFPH44M4LM (4.4) and have any comments on it?

vince

Yeah, I just picked one up off Craigs List the other day for $70. Didn't have to do any surgery (so far.) Just unscrewed the bottom hinge on the freezer compartment door and pulled out the freezer floor and took the door off, then put the freezer hinge back on so I wouldn't have a hole there. :) I'm planning on putting a tower on it. I read that there are two clips on the front holding the top on, in addition to the foam. I have been able to get all but the last 2" or so free from the top. Not sure how to get that off w/o breaking the top. :( I think I can carve up from inside and make a hole and cut down a small plastic chopping board for additional stability (small, thin, maybe double-up) on the tower screws.

Can you report on how various fermenters do or do not fit in there? Pics would be awesome... I wish I could find one of these on the cheap but I'm looking at around two hundo so I want to be sure

I can confirm that the BFPH44M4LM easily fits a ball-lock keg and CO2 tank with 2 minutes of simple unscrewing/removal. It's a fantastic model for kegging because the door has indents which nicely line up with keg(s). Best $50 I ever spent on homebrewing!

Back