Freezing ruins carbonation....?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
I don't do much brewing of beer, I mostly brew cider and every once in a while I will accidentally forget one of them in the freezer..... (Putting a chill on some of the ones that I do not have stock in my other refrigerator)
When I let it thaw back completely to its liquid state it seems like it could be lacking carbonation? If the carbonation is absorbed into liquid at the time of carbonating where does it go once froze? I didn't think it could escape the bottle with a crown on it?
And am I accurate in thinking there might be less carbonation?

I'm not sure. I wouldn't' think so, but possibly the pressure of the frozen beer expanding outward lifts the cap up just enough to allow some of the CO2 to sneak past the seal?

Homercidal said:
I'm not sure. I wouldn't' think so, but possibly the pressure of the frozen beer expanding outward lifts the cap up just enough to allow some of the CO2 to sneak past the seal?

That sounds logical and really really bums me out... Lol
Not that I think you're incorrect but I would love to hear some other opinions if anyone else wants to chime in
:mug:

My speculation was that as liquid changes its state to solid, the molecules reform into a less dense formation (why a can bulges when you freeze it) I assume in that process that co2 is separated from the mixture and when you open the bottle/can escapes in a large quantity at that moment.

This explanation from the internet is similar:

"Because the carbon dioxide is not truly dissolved in the water and syrup solution, the bubbles stay there as long as they are separated. If conditions change and they are able to unite, they separate themselves from the mixture and try to escape. When a soda is subjected to freezing temperatures, the carbon dioxide bubbles are able to unite more easily because the water in the soda is solidifying with other water molecules. This process effectively squeezes the carbon dioxide bubbles together and out of the mixture."

I mostly brew cider and every once in a while I will accidentally forget one of them in the freezer.

And they don't explode?

I've accidentally forgotten beer bottles in the freezer before, and the next morning, I've been greeted with a messy slag heap of frozen beer with jagged pieces of glass sticking out of it. It's a pain to clean up.

In my house, we have a policy. If you put a bottle of any liquid in the freezer, you set the oven timer. Not the microwave, the oven. When our microwave timer goes off, it beeps 5 times, and that's it. If you missed it (were on a bathroom break or whatever), you can easily forget. But the oven timer won't stop beeping until someone presses the button to cancel it. Since then, we haven't exploded any more bottles in the freezer.

kombat said:
And they don't explode?

I've accidentally forgotten beer bottles in the freezer before, and the next morning, I've been greeted with a messy slag heap of frozen beer with jagged pieces of glass sticking out of it. It's a pain to clean up.

In my house, we have a policy. If you put a bottle of any liquid in the freezer, you set the oven timer. Not the microwave, the oven. When our microwave timer goes off, it beeps 5 times, and that's it. If you missed it (were on a bathroom break or whatever), you can easily forget. But the oven timer won't stop beeping until someone presses the button to cancel it. Since then, we haven't exploded any more bottles in the freezer.

Nice! Im using that trick from now on... :mug:

Back