Freezing hops in quart sized Kerr mason jars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richfei

Reaction score
I picked up a box of Kerr quart wide mouth mason jars at Walmart today
These were the only ones available in that size

I was going to use these to freeze a pound of hops at a time
However I read that these wide mouth jars were not suitable for freezing at the Kerr website, here
http://www.freshpreserving.com/products/jars.aspx#jars

Has anyone tried freezing hops in these particular quart sized jars

I'm not sure why they say this ?
i was intending to vacuum pack then freeze, but if there is a problem, I'll take them back

They're not suitable for freezing liquids because the liquid can expand and break the shoulder of the jar. They should be fine for your hops.

Buy the jar sealers that you can get for food savers as an attachment.

Dont bother bagging them, bags are too expensive.

You can get the lid sealer for $10 each, the regular and wide mouth are seperate.

Now you can forever seal your hops and not have to buy bags. I have a freezer of about 6 different hops i had extra's of in mason jars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use them with the jar sealer above. Makes it super easy. If you don't have a foodsaver, you can find them on Craigslist.

I just read somewhere that freezing fresh hops is not good and ruins them. I vacuum sealed and froze about 6 pint sized canning jars about 2 months ago. Each jars has about 2 oz of hops. Is this going to give me a decent product or are they crap now? Is vacuuming AND freezing better than doing one or the other? I have a friend with a BUNCH of Cascade hops and I'm going to pick a five gallon bucket full tomorrow and may not have the opportunity to do a suitable recipe for awhile. I have a dehydrator, but there's no temp control and some I tried turned brown...not sure if I should use them.

I just read somewhere that freezing fresh hops is not good and ruins them. I vacuum sealed and froze about 6 pint sized canning jars about 2 months ago. Each jars has about 2 oz of hops. Is this going to give me a decent product or are they crap now? Is vacuuming AND freezing better than doing one or the other? I have a friend with a BUNCH of Cascade hops and I'm going to pick a five gallon bucket full tomorrow and may not have the opportunity to do a suitable recipe for awhile. I have a dehydrator, but there's no temp control and some I tried turned brown...not sure if I should use them.

If you dried them first, they will be great. If they were frozen while "wet", they will be globs of grassy seaweed mess.

You want to dry them at room temperature, if your food dehydrator gets hot.

Hmmm that's what I was afraid of. I'll thaw them and check them out, but I'm not hopeful. I'll treat the next round more carefully. Thanks!

Back