freezing grains problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I have always stored my grains in the freezer, without any problems. This time I had 5 lbs of Maris Otter that stayed in there about 8 months in the brown paper sack that the LHBS packaged them in after crushing. When I got them out yesterday to brew they smelled like the inside of a freezer or refrigerator that had been unplugged for a while. I had no choice but to use them as I had already started the brew process. I think I will start keeping my grains in sealed containers outside the freezer or in plastic containers in the freezer. I think maybe my problem was caused from the paper bag absorbing the odors. I have no idea what the beer will taste like, but it seemed ok after and during the boil.

My grain storage room is what most people refer to a living room... I just have sacks of various grain sitting there. I live in a low RH climate and the room stays at 75 or below. It is only at 75 for about a month or two and then 65 or below for the rest of the year. Works fine. Plus I have more freezer space for hops!

Cool and dry (dry being more important).

Buckets and Gamma Lids for bulk. Lock and Lock containers for specialty grains. Or Food Saver vacuum bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back