Freezing for sanitation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdMerican

Reaction score
Many of you may have seen the commercial for what i think may be gap jeans or some other fashionable crap that I don't wear, but the guy is talking about washing jeans taking the color out. He "likes to put them in a bag and freeze them. It kills the germs and keeps the color" or something to that effect. If this is true, is it possible with, say, priming sugar? Or vanilla beans, or anything else you may want to put in your brew, post boil? Any microbiologists out there that care to chime in? I'm not saying that some random dude on a jeans commercial has any idea what he is talking about regarding killing germs, but if he IS in fact correct, would it be something we could carry over to brewing?

I'm not a microbiologist. Freezing can kill some bacteria but definately not all. The part that carries over into brewing has to do with freezing fruits before adding them to brews. It breaks down some cell walls. Freezing will inhibit growth of bacteria but they come right back alive when thawed.

People who freeze jeans are weird.

People who freeze brewing supplies are uninformed.

Like others say, freezing won't kill much at all...just makes it nice and dormant.

Look at it this way - one of the big infection risks is wild yeast, a bacteria. People who slant yeast for yeast banks regularly freeze the yeast slants afterwards. If freezing worked so well, then all that yeast would be dead. (Yes, freezing DOES affect cell viability, and WILL kill some of the yeast, especially if not done in a glycerol environment, (too much water means you rupture cell walls)...but it doesn't kill ALL the yeast, and in a dryer ingredient, like vanilla beans, freezing won't do crap).

So that means I can eat raw chicken right out of the freezer? I don't think so.

Not gonna quote everyone, but this is kind of what I figured the general sentiment would be.

And yes, freezing jeans IS weird...

freezing kills large macro-organisms, like lice, bed bugs, worms, flies, dogs, cats, humans, etc.

freezing does nothing to viruses, most bacteria, spores, dirt and grime...

Latest posts

Back