Freezer Dies at End of Lager Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dog House Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So what happens when your freezer dies after your lager has been in primary for 12 days? I checked the gravity of my OFest WY2633 and Helles Bock WY2206 and they were 1.014 for the O'Fest and 1.018 for the Helles Bock. When I checked the samples the temp was at 70, so the freezer has been off for a few days. Checked the Tuesday and they were at 52. Is the 70 degrees going to hurt anything? Go ahead and bottle and lager in the bottle? I would think they have been at 70 for only 3 or 4 days.

Many people introduce their lager fermentations to higher temps at the end to finish everything up and remove any traces of diactyl. This isn't a bad thing.

The only trouble you have now is how are you going to actually lager?

I always raise the temp to at least 65-70 on lagers in the last few days of fermentation (around day 7 or 12 or so) - this is known as a diacetyl rest. So basically you got a d-rest on autopilot, no harm done, in fact it could be beneficial.

I knew about the D-Rest, just worried that 70-72 was too warm. I guess I can lager in the bottle? I'm sure bulk lagering is better for secondary, but won't have a freezer that fast. Is lagering in the bottle much worse than bulk? Thanks for the help

Back