free state oatmeal stout clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

Reaction score
I'm trying to make a clone of free state's oatmeal stout. In my opinion one of the absolute best stouts out there. Going off the grain list I have compiled the following recipe, however I am very new to creating recipes and I'm sure something will be seen as out of whack so any advice and critique is welcomed.
10 gal batch

12 lbs 2-row
3lbs flaked barley
3lbs flaked oats
2 lbs caramel 40l
1lb chocolate wheat
1lb roasted barley
8oz crystal 60
8oz Munich 10
8 oz carafoam

2 oz northern brewer 60 min
1.5 oz fuggles 15 mins

Again I shot from the hip on this. Would really appreciate help.

Cheers!

I am not a fan of stouts so I cannot critique but that's a great brewery and from what I understand they are pretty home brewer friendly. I've had great success emailing recipe ideas to the brewerys over time and in most cases someone will offer up tips and point you in the right direction so you might want to contact them. Many brewery websites also list certain ingredients and hops that can also provide some insight into what each beer they make contains.

I'm trying to make a clone of free state's oatmeal stout. In my opinion one of the absolute best stouts out there. Going off the grain list I have compiled the following recipe, however I am very new to creating recipes and I'm sure something will be seen as out of whack so any advice and critique is welcomed.
10 gal batch

12 lbs 2-row
3lbs flaked barley
3lbs flaked oats
2 lbs caramel 40l
1lb chocolate wheat
1lb roasted barley
8oz crystal 60
8oz Munich 10
8 oz carafoam

1.5 oz fuggles 15 mins

Cheers!

3 lbs oats? Maybe cut that back to 2 lbs. 3 lbs. flaked barley? I've never used a flaked barley.

Toast your oats on cookie sheets, 325 for 45 mins.

Cut out the crystal 40 completely and sub in 8 oz Special B. 158 mash temp.

I'd use more hops unless you really hate hops. Too much malt and not enough hops seems disgustingly british. Of course if you are using pellets, feel free to ignore my advice and use as little as possible in any given recipe.

Good luck. I personally would like to see a Free State Octoberfest clone.
All their beers are great. I am really happy that they started bottling!

Oh damn...

Capture.PNG

Love the Free State Oatmeal Stout. Might try this as a 5 gallon batch. Curious how your recipe came out?

QUOTE=Dixon;5540070]I'm trying to make a clone of free state's oatmeal stout. In my opinion one of the absolute best stouts out there. Going off the grain list I have compiled the following recipe, however I am very new to creating recipes and I'm sure something will be seen as out of whack so any advice and critique is welcomed.
10 gal batch

12 lbs 2-row
3lbs flaked barley
3lbs flaked oats
2 lbs caramel 40l
1lb chocolate wheat
1lb roasted barley
8oz crystal 60
8oz Munich 10
8 oz carafoam

1.5 oz fuggles 15 mins

Cheers![/QUOTE]

Latest posts

Back