Free Online Beer Chemistry Course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the practice quiz or the Unit 1 assignment? For #1) I got a answer wrong in the actual quiz because I used a simile of the correct answer

The unit 1 assignment. What simile did you use?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Was that the two answer question because I used sequence and still got it wrong.

Was that the two answer question because I used sequence and still got it wrong.

No the one before that "The primary structure of a protein is most important because the _____ of the amino acids..."

My answer for that was arrangement, so although I got it wrong, I consider it correct simply because I know that my synonym works.

So far I'm disappointed with the course. Maybe it's because I lack a Chemistry back ground but the reading material doesn't seem to cover everything in enough detail. It mentions terms that I then have to google. I think it would be better if the reading material was longer, or there was a long and short version.

The other thing i don't like is the test material seems to concentrate on memorizing chemistry terms and doesn't concentrate on whats going on as much.

I read supplementary material on my own and can answer a bunch of the test questions, but I'm getting nothing out of the course.
Its more along the lines of "memorize these many many terms that you wont ever use again". I can see how someone with a Chemistry background would find it easier since they probably use some of this in what they do or at least studied.

Bottom line:

I'm ok with the material being complex and technical. But I think it doesn't explain enough in the reading, and you have to spend a lot of time hunting down terms, and reading on why such and such is important.
This strikes me as a half assed course, and thats disappointing, because it could have been much better.
Had they had a 100 page supplementary reading section for each chapter that would have made it a worthwhile course.

The description clearly states: "Students will be required to utilize previous knowledge in General and Organic Chemistry to understand:..."

Dr. Morvant did mention somewhere that the word he was looking for was "sequencing" but he would be reviewing all answers and accepting sequence, order, and anything similar.

With 7,000 students enrolled in the class, it seems next to impossible to review each quiz. It might be better to get some answers accidentally marked wrong than to have Dr. Morvant and the other instructors spend so much time reviewing the quizzes.

I believe that one of the TA's mentioned somewhere that only about 1,200 people took the first quiz. Still a lot of quizzes to look over though...

I put "linear sequencing" and was wrong. Oops. Then again I'm in IT... I work in bits, not lipids ;)

I put "linear sequencing" and was wrong. Oops. Then again I'm in IT... I work in bits, not lipids ;)

I put "arrangement" and was marked wrong. In reviewing possible correct answers after taking quiz I thought sequence might be the exact answer they were looking for but apparently it wasn't. I would suspect they'll only manually review those taking the class for credit; paying customers :).

As with many of you, I have found the course to be more about memorizing and searching for chemistry terms than the processes. Even with a background in Nuclear Engineering and Culinary Arts, this quickly became a disappointment.

:tank:

I agree, if it continues with Unit 3 I may bail. I'm a Biochem undergrad and it has been a rather disjointed, random trip so far.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

^^^^^
I agree. Im not going to pretend most of this isn't over my head, but I appreciate the opportunity to try. Thank you Dr. Morvant and to OU for being willing to allow this class to exist....for free.

>.As with many of you, I have found the course to be more about memorizing and searching for chemistry terms than the processes. Even with a background in Nuclear Engineering and Culinary Arts, this quickly became a disappointment.

>.I agree, if it continues with Unit 3 I may bail. I'm a Biochem undergrad and it has been a rather disjointed, random trip so far.

It strikes me as something thrown together haphazardly.
It's all about memorizing detailed facts.
And I don't think the material is explained well. If I were teaching, I'd have links to supplementary material.

X is an AAAAA

I can memorize that but what do I learn? Provide a link so that I can read about AAAAA and understand why thats important.

X is a lager yeast
Y is an ale yeast

You can memorize that but if you understand that you use different fermentation temperatures (and why) and about Diacetyl rests, then it's easier to remember and use this information.

I seem to recall being frustrated numerous times in my academic career by the preference of academia in supplying tools before supplying a reason to appreciate those tools.

For anyone who's taken calculus before taking physics, or learning imaginary numbers before taking a course in digital circuits, or learning how to work with matrices before needing to solve simultaneous sets of equations..., you know what I mean.

I'm holding out hope that this is another instance of that. We're being given tools; building understanding, before we've been shown the application.

By the end of the course, hopefully the need for what we're reading now will be crystal clear. I'm willing to wait and see.

I seem to recall being frustrated numerous times in my academic career by the preference of academia in supplying tools before supplying a reason to appreciate those tools.

For anyone who's taken calculus before taking physics, or learning imaginary numbers before taking a course in digital circuits, or learning how to work with matrices before needing to solve simultaneous sets of equations..., you know what I mean.

I'm holding out hope that this is another instance of that. We're being given tools; building understanding, before we've been shown the application.

By the end of the course, hopefully the need for what we're reading now will be crystal clear. I'm willing to wait and see.

You must be an engineer! That just summerised my exact experience of engineering school - the pure theory would always be taught one year before the class that would put that theory into practice, and it was only during that practical class that you actually understood how and why you were doing any of that stuff in the theory class the year before :tank:

You must be an engineer! That just summerised my exact experience of engineering school - the pure theory would always be taught one year before the class that would put that theory into practice, and it was only during that practical class that you actually understood how and why you were doing any of that stuff in the theory class the year before :tank:

You've caught me! Lol. BSME (heavy on the BS)

One of these days, somebody need to sit an academic down and explain that students would show a lot more interest in complex material if they knew before-hand how useful it could be, lol

You've caught me! Lol. BSME (heavy on the BS)

One of these days, somebody need to sit an academic down and explain that students would show a lot more interest in complex material if they knew before-hand how useful it could be, lol

Most teachers and professors do try to explain how useful and important the materials, tools, and knowledge can be. We as students, fail to realize what the teachers are saying about how useful or important they are until we apply those things into a real world situation. It is when we are faced with these situation we realize how important they are, and wish we would have listened better or payed closer attention.

Most teachers and professors do try to explain how useful and important the materials, tools, and knowledge can be. We as students, fail to realize what the teachers are saying about how useful or important they are until we apply those things into a real world situation. It is when we are faced with these situation we realize how important they are, and wish we would have listened better or payed closer attention.

For me it's much harder to grasp something unless I'm first shown why it's needed and how it will help solve the problem. I'm sure some can learn abstract concepts but at least for me, showing me some examples then the theory makes it much easier for me to learn. I think the problem is recognizing how people learn.

When I first started reading brewing books, some of the material was in one ear out the other because I had no frame of reference. I had never done all grain, I had never used 12 types of hops or 17 types of Crystal, etc.

Well, I aced the health quiz, the real test comes out tomorrow, after this the next few areas look to be about "actual" beer making......We'll see...........

Ok, test came out today. 12 questions, I got 3 wrong! But it should have only been 2, (I read one question, the simplest one, wrong !!) lol...........

Once again problems with the quiz, the drag and drop part. I think there may also be an issue with another questions key too. I guess I shouldn't complain about free though. I wonder if this is a joint effort with their Comp Sci program or what?

Once again problems with the quiz, the drag and drop part. I think there may also be an issue with another questions key too. I guess I shouldn't complain about free though. I wonder if this is a joint effort with their Comp Sci program or what?

I use Chrome and the drag/drop sections work fine.

No problem with Crome only with my Firefox

Back