Four days. Four brews. For f'sake.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoIguanaForZ

Reaction score
So for the first time since early June, besides the week I was out of town, we've had multiple days in a row here where the temperature forecast was something other than "SQUEAL LIKE A PIG!" My beer cabinet was down to about 40% of capacity and there's a month lead time, so I decided to pound out a brew a day until we resumed the "sun of the desert consumes what it never can cheer" thing.

Heating water in the mornings (takes 40-50 min to heat nearly 8 gallons to "we mash nao" with the pot across two burners, I find), mashing in and "overnight mashing" with full volume or nearly-full-volume mashes while at work, then coming home, sparging, and heating to boil before going off to run any errands. Boiling for 2-2.5 hours to get the volumes to come out right, and build melanoidins. Throwing various brewing implements (big spoons, half gallon stainless steel pitcher-things, the funnel and China-cap strainer I use for transfer to fermenters, small strainers because my setup laughs at my attempts to get a decent vorlauf going) in the dishwasher while sparging and hoping they're ready when I need them. Also, none of this is automated, but I think I've pretty much got my process down pat.

Went surprisingly well but both I and my kitchen are a wreck. Probably good practice in a spiritual kind of way for going pro, but otherwise I don't really recommend it. Also, since I keep hitting efficiencies in the high 80s/low 90s, while trying to make a "regular" or "session" strength batch, I'm feeling a bit like king Midas x.x

Beers are (volumes into the fermenter):

-5.5 gallons of NTS Oatmeal Stout (was supposed to be a Session Stout but I appear to be physically incapable of actually producing a session beer x.x), in fridge
-6...ish, like 6.2something, gallons of Kolsch-inspired blonde, in other fridge
-4.5 gallons of to style? Tropical Stout, in water bath on counter. Because no more fridge.
-2.5 gallons of dark rye saison, just on counter (well, in 3 gallon carboy, on counter). "So heat me, because I can take it." First trye with this style. ^.^

Recipes to fall ov...follow.

Marathon Man! Go get some sleep.

I usually do two batches in one day, even contemplated doing three in one day. Big difference is I'm in the garage with multiple burners. Had to be killer in the house.

The other day I brewed a double batch of a Bigfoot barleywine clone to be aged later in my 8 gallon oak barrel. With interruptions, errands, cleaning and other duties, it took 12 hours.

I take my hat off to you. Bravo for being so committed and getting it done.

I like a steady pace one 23L batch per week usually on a Thursday - but I'm not drinking enough at moment so running out of bottles - I might have to skip a week

And here I felt like a badass brewing three Sundays in a row. Go get some sleep and stop making the rest of us look bad!

Latest posts

Back