Fountain Pens

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
Hey there anyone else into fountain pens and mixing and matching your own inks?

I picked up a 'knock-around' pen today - The Noodler's Ahab with the flex nib. I've been feeding it Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange but have several other orange-red hued ink to try in it. Its fun!

Anyone else collect and habitually write with fountain pens?

Ahab 2523 arizona.jpg

Woodworking and mechanic work doesn't lend well to foo foo pens.

I only use a fountain pen, I hate using a ball point.
People at work are always joking about it.

I like fountain pens, too. Nothing foo foo about them - they are old-time, rugged instruments that real men use instead of the disposable, throw-away plastic junk pens that children use. Fountain pens were good enough for grandpa, they're good enough for me.

;)

I don't write a lot, but when i do, it's usually with a TWSBI Diamond. I also have a Parker, but i find that it usually isn't flowing when i pick it up after a few days of non-use. The TWSBI is always ready to go.

Can't say I'm a fan of repeatedly dipping my pen. It's not very convenient. With that being typed, carry on...

Fountain pens don't need to be dipped, they're not quills ;)

A fountain pen has a cartridge inside that can either be refilled with ink or replaced.

I don't write a lot, but when i do, it's usually with a TWSBI Diamond. I also have a Parker, but i find that it usually isn't flowing when i pick it up after a few days of non-use. The TWSBI is always ready to go.

Never see a TWSBI Diamond before, that looks really nice.

Never see a TWSBI Diamond before, that looks really nice.

It's a nice pen to write with, I have fairly big hands and it's one of few pens i've used (of many sizes) that is comfortable for me to hold correctly. If anyone considers getting one, be aware that their nibs are a bit larger than most other brands.

Took a look at the Parker (Urban) and realized that the reason why it wasn't flowing the last couple times i picked it up is because it's out of ink! With more ink in it now, it's writing nicely. :)

I don't care for any of that new-fangled technological hoopla. I'll stick with my chisel-and-stone, thank you very much. I prefer my words to not run off the page the first time they get wet.

I haven't messed with fountain pens. I AM getting ready to make my own ink from some walnuts, though. And as soon as that's done, I'm off to cut me a Quill Pen (Just have to catch a big bird, is all...)

I enjoy the different ink colors and the way the notes look as you flip though a weeks worth of work notes. It is slower to writew ith for me, but then I also find that I'm neater and its easier to read what I wrote. I am on an orange and red-orange kick at the moment. I also bought some yellow high-lighter ink to work with. That should be neat.

I enjoy the different ink colors and the way the notes look as you flip though a weeks worth of work notes. It is slower to writew ith for me, but then I also find that I'm neater and its easier to read what I wrote. I am on an orange and red-orange kick at the moment. I also bought some yellow high-lighter ink to work with. That should be neat.

Do you have any good online resources to share? I've only used a new fountain pen with refills, I don't really know that much about getting vintage ones, filling systems, etc.

Nonsense. Woodworking and fountain pens go hand in hand if you simply make fountain pens out of wood. ;)

I've made a lot of pens, but only two fountain pens. Someday I'd like to tinker with different nibs and inks.

I've only had 2 or 3 requests for pens. I've had more for razors but don't do much small lathe work. Actually haven't had much free time this past year for any little frilly items. I can't even remember the last time I used my wood lathe, wanna say it was 2 years ago restoring an antique shaving brush for a friend.

Not a fan.

I was forced to write with a fountain pen in 4th grade. It was a requirement in my school system to learn proper penmanship using a fountain pen. I have no idea why.

I'm left handed, so I spent the entire year with blue ink smeared all over my left arm and minuses all over my papers for sloppy work and excessive smearing. Fountain pens and left-handedness do not go together.

On the good side, we found out pretty quickly that if you hold the pen point up, aim it at someone and flick your wrist really hard you could shoot a stream of ink about 10-15 feet. After some practice you could nail someone halfway accross the classroom with deadly accuracy. No one came home with clean shirts after school - ever. That was fun! :D

Also thinking about getting a nice, substantial vintage mechanical pencil. I'm tired of using the cheap throw-away and disposable mechanical pencils when I'm judging at competitions. My problem is I don't really know what to look for in a good fountain pen or mechanical pencil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any good online resources to share? I've only used a new fountain pen with refills, I don't really know that much about getting vintage ones, filling systems, etc.

Sure... it is a lot like homebrewing. There are forums everywhere. http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/ is a great one. There are pen and ink and paper reviews on that site along with lots of pictures and ink color swatches. Youtube has lots of demonstration videos... just find a pen name and google it. Someone will have something to say about it online.

Lamy puts out some good, less expensive beginner pens. I got my latest $20 (very inexepensive) Noodler's Ahab pen from www.gouletpens.com. What I like about them is that they sell ink samples. 2ml vials of any ink you want to try for 1.25. So there is no need to go whole hog with a bottle of ink that will last a year. You can get a few colors and try them out without dropping a load of cash. Check em out. The range of colors is amazing and is sure to resonate with someone who is also careful about brewing a beer to style.

I don't do vintage pens. With the modern ones sold today there is no reason to do vintage. The modern pens truly are amazing in what they can do and the parts and pieces are available and reliable. Don't feel like you have have an old pen to get back to the days when careful, clear writing was important.

One of my favorate FP is the lamy 2000, just a work horse. For those of you who may buy a fountain pen for the first time, the cap may be threaded.

Also thinking about getting a nice, substantial vintage mechanical pencil. I'm tired of using the cheap throw-away and disposable mechanical pencils when I'm judging at competitions. My problem is I don't really know what to look for in a good fountain pen or mechanical pencil.

Not at all vintage, but when i bought my TWSBI Diamond, they had a promotion including one of their mechanical pencils. I don't use pencil very much, but it is fairly nice. Actually, the most i used it may have been marking up where to drill holes for taps in the keezer a few months ago.

Try a Rotring mechanical pencil. Made of metal, aluminum mostly, but the aircraft type so it is superbly durable. Lots of lead size options and not all that expensive for a mechanical pen that will work for at least a hundred years.

That is a cool site, I would never have thought of handmade pens.

Most of the people there do it as a hobby, but some of them sell pens at craft fairs and on etsy/ebay, so it wouldn't be hard to get something custom made. Even though most of them use the same hardware, some of the hardware has gotten pretty nice in the last decade or so though, and there are some really talented and creative people that post there. This steampunk fountain pen is one of the more interesting ones I've seen there-
5_image.jpg

I've made the joke more than once that you know you work in an engineering office when you can have lengthy discussions with coworkers about the merits of various writing instruments - and almost race each other to the supply cabinet when someone finds a new gem. (My supervisor and I have nearly identical taste in writing instrument, so we keep our own "stash" at our desks, and protect them viciously.)

I've always like fountain pens, and even quill pens. Don't really have much of a collection started, but I did buy a CHEAP quill pen a couple years ago to start practicing with -- once I get my basement done, I have plans for end tables with backlit panels featuring sketches on vellum using either charcoal or ink.

If I could find a good pencil kit I liked and could modify for a soapstone and awl I might have to make a set of foo foo marking instruments for myself.

I use a calligraphy pen with a fraktur font for my brew records. Looks cool and keeps me in practice.

Hey there anyone else into fountain pens and mixing and matching your own inks?

I picked up a 'knock-around' pen today - The Noodler's Ahab with the flex nib. I've been feeding it Noodler's Operation Overlord Orange but have several other orange-red hued ink to try in it. Its fun!

Anyone else collect and habitually write with fountain pens?

I'm not into fountain pens, but I thought you might like to see this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a pair of Lamy fountain pens that I write with almost exclusively. I'm prone to cramping due to applying too much pressure, an using a FP solves that completely. You barely have to touch the page.

The real trouble is when you discover ink. There are so many brands an colors, each of which just might be slightly closer to perfection than your previous favorite...dangerous stuff.

Back