Found some $19 Electric SS Ball Valves, they seem to work!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simnick

Reaction score
Maybe someone has posted this seller on ebay before (although I don't see it), but given the amazing price, I wanted to give a heads up on this before it disappears:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15120601596...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
They are Electric Stainless Ball Valves, and unlike many Chinese sellers, they know the difference between NPT and BSP. Excited about the price (about half of other sellers), I order 4 of them.

I ordered them about 2 weeks ago, and they arrived in less than 10 days via FedEx intl. They are definitely NPT. They work fine when I hook them up to 12v, actuating in about 2 seconds. They do not have spring return, you apply voltage to one wire to open, the other to close (but pretty easy to do with a SPDT relay).
I have not brewed with them, but they seem to work. Dropped my automation budget by over $100.

Sorry if this should be somewhere else on the forum.

Thanks for the post! This would save me about $160.

Do they have a standard 24Vdc or 120Vac coil model? I would hate to add a 12Vdc power supply to my system.

Thanks for the post! This would save me about $160.

Do they have a standard 24Vdc or 120Vac coil model? I would hate to add a 12Vdc power supply to my system.

They don't have 120V AC (or 24V dc) for the stainless NPT at those awesome prices. Only at about ~$50 do they have other voltages.

They are "digital", in that they go to full open or closed depending on input. You cannot dial in a half way value (without special tweaking). You send ground to one wire, and the 12v to one wire or the other depending on which direction you want to go. It automatically turns on the motor, and moves until open, then turns off.

I still have not run water through them, but I got them hooked up to my arduino, and it looks like they take just about 2.2 seconds to open or close, which is better than specs for most electric ball valves I seen online.

Looking at the construction, I also think there are good odds you could take it apart, and use the actuator on another valve, such as a two position 3-way valve, but I don't feel brave enough to dissemble one right now.

Just got mine today. Took apart the control box, the gearing looks all metal. All in all, the construction looks excellent, components are mounted on daughter boards and insulated from one another. Very impressed with the build quality, especially at this price point. I'll probably buy some more :)

has anybody actually taken off the actuators and tried to use them on a 3 way valve?

if that would work it could be a very cheap way to automate a 3-way valve

I tried using these as on/off valves on in my kegerator. They apparently created a lot of turbulence and I ended up with severe foaming issues. I have 12 ft. Lines and had them 4 ft from the kegs. In the open position they look pretty smooth but they definitely caused some foaming problems. I removed them and now have much less foam.

I agree that the quality is great, they just will not work in that situation... At least for me and my kegerator.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Bookmarking this thread for followup. These are just as cheap as manual ball valves in my area.

Can someone confirm these aren't 3-piece right? CIP would be possible but true sanitization no?

Back