Forgot to sanitize a mason jar harvesting trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mullenium

Reaction score
so I used 2 mason jars to harvest trub for my next batch when i took my last batch to secondary.

planning to brew next batch today (been 4 days in the fridge)

but my first mason jar I forgot to spray down with starsan, the day before i had rinsed it off with hot tap water and stuck in in a cabinet. When I grabbed the trub I just stuck the jar in and scooped up some trub from the primary bucket.

the second mason jar i made sure to spray down with starsan all over (including lid) then I scooped up trub and poured the rest in

after sitting in fridge both mason jars are filled halfway with trub after settling out

I was going to just pitch with second mason jar since its the safest bet.. but thinking about how I scooped instead of poured, that first mason jar wasnt sprayed down... did I just screw myself?:mad:

Toss it out. Not worth the risk IMO. Any idea how much yeast slurry you've actually got in the sanitized jar?

mullenium said:
so I used 2 mason jars to harvest trub for my next batch when i took my last batch to secondary.

planning to brew next batch today (been 4 days in the fridge)

but my first mason jar I forgot to spray down with starsan, the day before i had rinsed it off with hot tap water and stuck in in a cabinet. When I grabbed the trub I just stuck the jar in and scooped up some trub from the primary bucket.

the second mason jar i made sure to spray down with starsan all over (including lid) then I scooped up trub and poured the rest in

after sitting in fridge both mason jars are filled halfway with trub after settling out

I was going to just pitch with second mason jar since its the safest bet.. but thinking about how I scooped instead of poured, that first mason jar wasnt sprayed down... did I just screw myself?:mad:

Try making a starter and see how it turns out, I've done that a few times with no problems.

Toss it out. Not worth the risk IMO. Any idea how much yeast slurry you've actually got in the sanitized jar?

I took both out of the fridge to get down to room temp.. shook both of them up so we will see how it settles out.

The good thing is the jar i forgot to sanitize is a smaller jelly mason jar, so not too big of a loss, but it was the first one i used to scoop slurry so im sure it has more viable yeast (top of the yeast cake)

Try a starter with that first one seperately & see how it looks when it's ready to use. Any pellicles growing on top,toss it out.

there any way to make a starter and tell the same day?

or maybe I should pitch the second jar, and make starter with first jar and in a few days if its still ok I can pitch that in the fermenter as well?

mullenium said:
how long would I need to give the starter in order to tell if it was ok?

Prob 24-48 hours, if using a stir plate it should be done in 24 hours, mine usually is.

Back