Forgot to measure the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collinsDPT

Reaction score
I am bottling my Pumpkin Ale this weekend. I transferred it 2 weeks ago to a secondary glass carboy which I recently purchased.

Problem is, I was too excited and forgot to measure out and mark the volume on the side of the carboy. So, now that I am bottling, how am I going to make sure I use the right amount of Brown Sugar for priming if I dont know the exact volume??

Help!

You can add the priming sugar to each bottle individually. Kind of a pain, but it can be done. Make sure you get a funnel with a wider mouth so that the process goes smoothly.

What size carboy? If it's a 5 gallon or a 6.5 gallon, if you measure from a level surface up to the meniscus and provide that height, I can measure one of my corresponding marked carboys and let you know how much brew you have...

Cheers!

Make measurements for you bottling bucket. Transfer to the bucket then calculate and add your sugar solution. It's a little backward from normal but should make no difference if you mix in the sugar well without aeration.

What size carboy? If it's a 5 gallon or a 6.5 gallon, if you measure from a level surface up to the meniscus and provide that height, I can measure one of my corresponding marked carboys and let you know how much brew you have...
Cheers!

Thanks man, it is a 5gallon glass carboy.

Make measurements for you bottling bucket. Transfer to the bucket then calculate and add your sugar solution. It's a little backward from normal but should make no difference if you mix in the sugar well without aeration.

Good suggestion. Thanks

Ok, go take the measurement, I'll be up for a while longer...

Cheers!

I will send you a PM tomorrow night. I am away from the house until then! I dont plan on bottling until saturday afternoon, so if it works out that you can do it before then, great. If not, no worries!

Thanks!

I will send you a PM tomorrow night. I am away from the house until then! I dont plan on bottling until saturday afternoon, so if it works out that you can do it before then, great. If not, no worries!

Thanks!

That'll work. I'll keep an eye on my in-box...

Cheers!

Back