Forgot to make a yeast starter ahead of time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukenotyourson

Reaction score
I didn't know I was going to have a chance to brew today, so didn't make a yeast starter.
Can I make the wort and the starter at the same time, and then let the wort sit in the carboy without yeast for 24 hours while the yeast starter gets healthy or should I just pitch the yeast without a starter?
If I can wait until tomorrow to pitch the starter, then I assume I wait to aerate until right before I put the yeast in.

Thanks a lot for your input.
Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What's the OG? Did you check mrmalty.com to see if 1 vial without a starter would be sufficient?
If you need to make a starter, you don't need to wait for it to finish out.

This is from mrmalty

If you're making a smaller starter, it is better to just pitch the entire active starter within about 6 to 12 hours of pitching the yeast into the starter.

The longer you wait, the higher the risk of infection. If your OG is anywhere less than 1.050, you should just pitch. You are going to have a long lag time, but at least the yeast is in there any starting.

Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about the contamination risk. I let the starter go for 6h, when it was starting to bubble, then pitched it. We will see how it turns out. Thanks. And thanks for steering me towards mrmalty.

Next time you could reserve some of the Unhopped but boiled wort to use in a starter and pitch after 12-24 hours when activity has peaked.

Thanks for your input. I hadn't thought about the contamination risk. I let the starter go for 6h, when it was starting to bubble, then pitched it. We will see how it turns out. Thanks. And thanks for steering me towards mrmalty.

12 hours would have been best for growth if you were on a tight schedule, but at least you got the yeast active in your 6 hours so it was still better than just pitching straight from the vial. I bet you still got some growth as well.

Unless it's a style that benefits from a specific strain of liquid yeast, having a few packs of dry yeast on hand in the fridge is perfect for those "hey, I've suddenly got some extra time and would like to brew a batch" days.

Latest posts

Back