Forgot to make a starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin0782

Reaction score
...and I'm brewing in 12 hours. Oh well. I'm making the starter now. Just a small one to get it rolling. Hopefully it works out okay. WLP029. Shooting for 1.050.

Cool, I feel reassured. The concept behind that vitality starter is pretty much what I what thinking. As long as I get the yeast active before pitching into 5 gallons of wort, that's a lot better than pitching the packet straight in.

...and I'm brewing in 12 hours. Oh well. I'm making the starter now. Just a small one to get it rolling. Hopefully it works out okay. WLP029. Shooting for 1.050.

Starters are nice, and sometimes very necessary, but I doubt you would miss it at 1.050.

A starter just gets the fermentation going faster. You can pitch most modern yeast straight from the package. It might take 48 hours for some bubbles, but hey waiting is part of the game.

Well I'm not sure exactly how long it took, but I had a nice layer of foam in the fermenter this morning. So, well under 20 hours for the yeast to get going. I'd say the night before works well enough for low grav. If this was going to be an impy stout or something, I'd have postponed.

Latest posts

Back