Forgot to add oxygen. Can it be fixed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

Reaction score
I made a Maibock. OG not too high 1.07. But I forgot to add oxygen. It's been fermenting for about a week now, and it's not going down much.
I know it's a lager, and it is cold, but I fear it's going to get stuck if it hasn't already.
Will adding oxygen now ruin it?
Can I just add more yeast?
Any other ideas?

I made a Maibock. OG not too high 1.07. But I forgot to add oxygen. It's been fermenting for about a week now, and it's not going down much.
I know it's a lager, and it is cold, but I fear it's going to get stuck if it hasn't already.
Will adding oxygen now ruin it?
Can I just add more yeast?
Any other ideas?

Yes you will ruin it if you add oxygen now.

The yeast will do there thing anyway, whether you oxygenated the wort or not.

if it is truly a stuck fermentation you can add more yeast.

What temp are you keeping your primary fermentation at? I'm hoping when you say it is cold, you don't mean 38 degrees F or something like that.

My idea is, leave your beer alone to ferment/age/condition, lagers take time...for a quick beer read the last sentence below my name lol

Cheers :mug:

+1 what WileE said. Adding O2 this far along in fermentation would be a bad idea. Give it 10 days, take a gravity reading and see where you are.

How much yeast and what strain did you pitch? A 1.070 lager needs quite a lot of cells.

It was White Labs Bock yeast, although 3rd generation. I made a stepped starter, so should have been enough, although I'm not sure exactly how much, since it was stepped from a frozen slant.

And by "cold" I mean 65 or so. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll give it another week and take a reading, and if it's not going down, just add more yeast.

65° isn't cold for a lager, that's warm, much too warm. I pitch mine at 45° and start fermentation at 48°.

It was White Labs Bock yeast, although 3rd generation. I made a stepped starter, so should have been enough, although I'm not sure exactly how much, since it was stepped from a frozen slant.

And by "cold" I mean 65 or so. Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll give it another week and take a reading, and if it's not going down, just add more yeast.

It says 48 to 55 for there german bock yeast, so I doubt it stalled at 65.

Sounds like you have a handle on it now, if it is dropping I would leave it on the yeast 3 weeks, then secondary it 3 to 4 months, just my 2 cents.

Cheers :mug:

Ummm isn't 65 degrees for a lager too warm?

You can always make a starter, oxygenate it very well, even continuously, and pitch it directly at high kraeusen. That can help avoid underattenuation.

Back