Forgot beer in the freezer, got clear beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fab80

Reaction score
Hi guys, a couple of days ago I wanted to have a bottle of my nice PM Imperial blonde a little extra chilled and decided to stick one in the freezer for 5 minutes. Of course, after five minutes, I went to the fridge and grabbed something else and completely forgot about that bottle in the freezer for a day. When I "found" it in the freezer, I put it back in the fridge and waited another day before drinking it. I am having one right now and it is SUPER CLEAR and tastes as good as it should.. The other bottles are pretty cloudy (I forgot clarifier). Anyone have ever experienced this?

I'm surprised it didn't freeze and thus blow up... i know big beers are more resistant with high abv and all but yours wasn't. Just my 2 cents, I wouldn't make it a habit...

It is likely that your beer has suspended yeast and the super cold temp dropped it out of suspension. Time will likely make the others drop clear. Personally, I never use clarifiers and only occasionally have chill haze (protein) issues...which does not bother me in the slightest.

Agreed that you got lucky it did not crack the bottle. I had a cooler of leftover Wisconsin beer from the last race and left it in the garage. 18 bottles and only 12 survived when the temps drop below 0 F for a week.

Back