Forgive me father for I have sinned...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightshade

Reaction score
It has been 11 months since I have last confessed this sin.

Dumped 60 gallons of beer today:eek:

Not a good representation of product and it was just getting worse as the days went by. I tried to argue dumping it earlier but I got vetoed by the powers that be. Finally the OK came through to ditch it and it has now been replaced with 90 gallons of SMaSH that turned out great:ban:

It was a double batch of Amber that got yeast pitched that had been used in an IPA before and had somehow missed the wash proccess. I am both shamed by the overlook on that as well as have learned a very valuable lesson in flavor carry over.

Back to your regular posting schedule.

Did you try dry hopping it to bring it further down that road and just call it a limited edition/small batch/seasonal hoppy amber?!? I usually try lots of things before dumping (including blending with adjuncts, herbs, etc), Its a good time to experiment!

Did you try dry hopping it to bring it further down that road and just call it a limited edition/small batch/seasonal hoppy amber?!? I usually try lots of things before dumping (including blending with adjuncts, herbs, etc), Its a good time to experiment!

No time to mess with it and trust me it was beyond repair, it started out moderatley tolerable and after a month it declined to slightly drinkable, by the end of another month it all but stopped selling and I couldn't even stand a sample glass.

No time to mess with it and trust me it was beyond repair, it started out moderatley tolerable and after a month it declined to slightly drinkable, by the end of another month it all but stopped selling and I couldn't even stand a sample glass.

I say good for you for having the guts to push for this. I resisted dumping some of my early 5gal batches for a long time, but have finally come to the same conclusion as you--if it ain't getting better, might as well put it out of its misery and move in something delicious! Plus, the last thing a pro brewer needs is bad beer on their reputation.

And at least the cost when you're running 3BBLs is less painful than dumping 30BBLs like one of our locals had to do!

Cheers to better beer!

Back