Force carb inquiry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
I am force carbing my latest batch and a thought came to me. When I set the co2 to my desired pressure do I need to keep the tank on or can I get the pressure to what I want for force carb and turn off the tank ?

The CO2 in the headspace will dissolve into the beer and the pressure will drop in the keg pretty quickly over time. In order to keep carbing, you would need to keep reattaching the tank to bring the pressure back up. It's a pain to keep doing it, but sometimes I run out of space in the keezer and have to do this. It also takes a lot longer this way.

I don't think so. As the CO2 in the headspace is dissolved into the beer the pressure will equalize at lower presure.

Got to leave the tank on. The pressure in the keg is always seeking an equilibrium with level of pressure in liquid and headspace. So, CO2 will leach out of the beer and in to the headspace if CO2 not being added as needed to maintain desired pressure.

Back