For Shame - Iodized Table Salt In Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootsNRoots

Reaction score
Just realized something, making supper...

Treating my water this morning, I accidentally grabbed my little white Morton Iodized salt container, and added the recommended dosage (Bru N' Water).

I do have the Kosher/Pickling salt (black bottle), but being brain damaged doesn't help much and of course Bru N' Water specifically says Pickling Salt.

Soooo... what do I do, look it up on the InterWebs and find out that Iodized Salt is bad for yeast because Iodine kills yeast! Yay!

1.4 grams total into 9 gallons of water.

Ouch. Have I made the Hall of Shame yet?

The yeast have been pitched for 3-4 hours now, so not much to do but wait and see.

(I know the Sodium Chloride and Magnesium are not necessary, but I generally add them anyway, and have noticed no adverse effects when using the right products. :rolleyes:)

1.4 grams isn't very much. I imagine you could have at least that much iodine just from using iodiphor sanitizer. I would guess that you will be fine.

The amount of iodine in there is so low that you shouldn't have to worry.

1.4 grams isn't very much. I imagine you could have at least that much iodine just from using iodiphor sanitizer. I would guess that you will be fine.

Walmart carries the pickling salt if you need it.

It's fermenting away nicely this morning, should be ok!

I have both types of salt, just picked the wrong one (the white bottle instead of the black)!

Latest posts

Back