Foothills Hoppyum IPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tapped it last night. Even though it was keg conditioned it needs another day in the kegerator, but, the color, flavor, & aroma are great!

That's awesome! I've never bottle or keg conditioned this beer, always force carbed in the keg. Glad it turned out well. Cheers!

I finally got around to doing my first all-grain batch using this recipe today. Everything went well. I think i may have missed my mash temp. After 10 minutes in the round cooler, I had 148*F. I just let it go at that temp and still hit my pre-boil gravity of 1.048 and post-boil of 1.065 so I think I'm ok there. I made a 2L starter using Wyeast 1056. I'm pretty excited to see how this turns out. Thanks again golphur for posting up the recipe! I'll keep you posted.

:mug:

-Klink

I was watching the Super Bowl enjoying some Hoppyum, and I decided to look up a clone recipe. I'm glad I found this one! It sounds like a winner. I was going to brew a SN Celebration clone next, but I think this just jumped up to head of the line.

Has anybody tried using British grains mentioned earlier?

Thanks for posting your recipe!

I've never made this recipe with British grains but I think I'm going to try it with Maris Otter next time. You'll probably get a little more body/color using British malts. Let me know how it turns out if you do it!

Just brewed this one yesterday!

I missed my preboil and original gravity by 3-4 pts. Grain crush could have been better, and I didn't have any DME on hand to adjust...oh well! I used US05 for convenience and it's bubbling away as we speak. Sample tasted great. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Is that really 11lb of US 2-Row Malt or should it be "1lb" of US 2-Row Malt?

ncsujrock - I don't know how a Kolsch yeast would do on this recipe. I've never used Kolsch on a Pale or IPA. I mean technically it will work/ferment. Just not sure how the yeast flavors would affect the beer. But hey, that's why we homebrew...experiment! Let me know how it turns out!

I just racked this to the secondary for dry hopping yesterday evening. OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.008. Sample tasted excellent. I'll give it 5-7 days then bottle. Can't wait to do a side by side with this one.

So I had a tasting party this past weekend with some friends; who are all Hoppyum fans. Everyone enjoyed it.
As I previously posted, I had missed my mash temp at 148* when I brewed this. I could definitely tell the body was a little thin. I also ran into some problems with my carbonation, it was a little low and inconsistent between bottles. I am going to stir in my priming solution before bottling for now on. I don't think it was evenly distributed. I also lost a lot of volume in the process due to all the hop material; I have since made a hop spider to help with that problem. Those drawbacks were all mistakes I made. So lessons learned :)
But everyone agreed the flavor was excellent and I am going to fix my mistakes and make this tasty brew again! Thanks again for posting this!

-Klink

That's fantastic, Klink. Glad everyone enjoyed it.

Asheville, please post back when you crack your first bottle. Would love to hear your feedback!

This is my fiancés favorite IPA, so I'll be brewing this in the next week or so. I'm actually in Winston right now, might try and convince my business partner to go by Foothills for lunch!

I just cracked opened my first....well now on my second, bottle of this recipe. It's absolutely perfect! I'll be brewing this one again for sure. Next time I'll probably add an additional .5 or maybe full 1 oz to the dry hop (personal preference only).

Awesome recipe! Thanks again for posting. I live in Asheville, NC, and every time I drive through Winston, I stop by Foothills to enjoy their beer. We have a ton of great breweries in town, but Foothills is definitely near the top of my list.

Thanks for the feedback Asheville Thumper, glad you enjoyed the recipe!

By all means, add some dry hops. I've used this recipe as a base for a lot of different variations of hops, dry hops, etc. It's all part of the fun of homebrewing.

It's been a while since I've brewed the actual clone recipe though. I think that's got to be next on my list. I was up in Winston-Salem a couple of months ago and had fresh Hoppyum at the pub and it was awesome.

Finally made this Friday dry hop tonight OG 1.059. Following 1st post recipe with S-05 Keg in 10 days. Let you know in 17 days, but I'm sure it's great. Thanks for posting. Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bree

Great recipe! All parameters came out on target. Kegged about a week ago did a head to head on a bottle of commercial Hoppyum Beers taste different but the homebrew is better!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Great recipe. I split the bittering hop addition into two additions tho to get it closer to the current Hoppyum being distributed:

0.70oz CTZ(60min)
0.70oz Simcoe(60min)

This put it very close to the specs on the bottle and I was calculating at a 70% Efficiency and with a 154(60min) mash. Using Beersmith it came out to:

6.5% ABV(Bottle-6.25%)
78.6 IBU(Bottle-78)
7.6 SRM(Bottle-7.1)

I tried making one of my favorite IPAs from Foothills Brewing in North Carolina. Hoppyum IPA

0.73oz US Simcoe Hops (Dry Hop)
0.50oz Centennial Hops (Dry Hop)
0.50oz Cascade Hops (Dry Hop)

Any particular dry hop schedule? Also, is this recipe for 5 gallons into fermenter or 5 gallons kegged? Love me some Hoppyum!! Gotta get this going ASAP!!

Thx for sharing!

Did 1 week dry hop after 3 week primary no secondary. Don't have an authentic foothills version on hand and probably won't after brewing this. Love it.. kegged 48 hrs ago. 30 psi for 24 hrs then to 12 till it floats. Still cloudy but this beer rocks! I frequent foothills and without a side by side it passes my taste test. Can only imagine how this will be in another week. Thx for recipe! Btw..too much trouble to fix pic..

20150426_194534.jpg

I followed this recipe exactly- and am very impressed. I got spot-on with the color of the Hoppyum.

When I drank them side-by-side, however, I felt that my brew was short on hoppiness- both in aroma and hop after-taste. The bitterness was perfect, but I need more aroma.

I primary fermented for 14 days, and the last 4 days were dry-hopped. I filtered with a 5 micron filter into the keg. The head is great; it is overall very good- but I want it better.

I'm thinking about more hops at flame-out, or a triple-dose for dry-hopping? need help please- I have always felt like my dry-hopped beers had less aroma than I was expecting. I have done it with pellets and leaf- don't know what a better solution would be.

Finally- my brew had a tad more mouthfeel (maltiness) than the hoppyum, only noticeable when side-by-side. the original was a tad cleaner. how can I get that "cleaner feel" with this malt bill?

Thanks for posting this recipe! I love hoppyum and I have been looking for something close to it to break me from these kit IPA's I've been brewing. I am giving this one a shot for sure!

Reading the hoppyum carton this evening in addition to Simcoe, Centennial and Cascade, they list "potent Columbus" hops as well. Has anyone added these to the hop schedule?

I'm going to run a BIAB batch Sunday and I'm wondering where would I add them in the schedule? Thanks

Edit - Brewed 3/6/16, OG 1.053 I can't wait for this one to be done, the sample I pulled tasted amazing!

Last edited:
Found this recipe and tried it out for my second brew ever. Used the brooklyn brew shop Everyday IPA kit for my first and instantly got hooked. Just wondering how long you would recommend for the primary ferment (I was thinking 14 days) and how long for the secondary after bottling (was thinking another 14 days)?

Also I think I dry hopped way too early after reading everyone's posts. I instantly added the dry hops after pitching the yeast in my brew. But i see other people doing it about 4-7 days before bottling/kegging.

Found this recipe and tried it out for my second brew ever. Used the brooklyn brew shop Everyday IPA kit for my first and instantly got hooked. Just wondering how long you would recommend for the primary ferment (I was thinking 14 days) and how long for the secondary after bottling (was thinking another 14 days)?

Also I think I dry hopped way too early after reading everyone's posts. I instantly added the dry hops after pitching the yeast in my brew. But i see other people doing it about 4-7 days before bottling/kegging.

10-14 days for primary is my average. Secondary comes before bottling. That's when I generally dry hop & leave it for 7-10 days. I keg and am enjoying my latest batch right now.

Back