Food Grade Silicone O rings (Where to buy Retail)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br1dge

Reaction score
I am wondering where people get their O rings from. I know I can purchase them on bargainfittings.com but I was wondering if anyone knew of a retail place that I could go to find them. I am hoping to avoid paying $5 shipping for $1 worth of O rings. I tried Home Depot and came up with nothing. Not having much luck finding info on the net.

I am in Roswell, GA but ideas from anywhere might help me find a local source. Thanks!!

I see there is a Grainger in Roswell. They would probably have them, but I doubt if you save much money. And you may have to purchase them in bulk.

How many do you need? I have about 100 of them on hand and I would be happy to send you a few if that would help. No need to pay me for them, so long as you only need a few. They are dirt cheap in bulk. PM me with your info and I will get them out right away.

These are the ones I have: http://www.mcmaster.com/#9396k32/=alqdea

They will fit nicely over 1/2" pipe fittings. I bought them to make weldless bulkheads for my HLT cooler and a kettle I use for camping.

You can have six for free if you would like, but you must buy me a beer someday in exchange. Deal?

Brew Depot on Mansell usually has some in the more common sizes. Give them a call and see if they have what you need.

I'm not sure how many or what size, but I thought someone found o-rings with baby bottle stuff. HIGHLY food grade I'm sure ;)

+1 for Brew Depot, Bob's a good guy and will help you out. He has the best prices and selection of all the HBS's in Georgia IMO. I usually get most of my brew stuff from there.

The listed prices are not the current prices, so consider them as approximate:

WELDLESS CONVERSION (for kegs/coolers)

Get parts from wwww.mcmaster.com

McMaster Part No. Description Cost

4464K214 Stainless full coupling, 1/2" pipe size, $3.42

4830K171 Stainless Steel 1/2" Close Nipple, Fully Threaded, $1.69

98126A797 Stainless Steel Shim(sold only as a pack of 10 @ $10.38) $1.04

9396K32 Silicone O-Ring (sold only as a pack of 50 @ $14.53) $0.29 (x2)

4429K124 1/2" Locknut, Brass (with groove for o-ring) $1.30

4190K22 1/2" Brass Ball Valve, Full Port $6.

You can use this same bulkead/valve configuration for a cooler, but depending on which cooler you have, the wall thickness may vary. This may require a longer nipple or additional shims.

Thanks Everyone - this has been a great help.. CATT - next time you are in Atlanta, come on over and we will take good care of you!

Thanks Everyone - this has been a great help.. CATT - next time you are in Atlanta, come on over and we will take good care of you!

I may well stop by one day. I expect the AHA to hold their annual conference there before too much longer. I really want badly to visit Savannah before I die. One day the planets will align properly and it will happen.

I dropped the envelope into the mailbox this evening. I am sending eight of the O-rings and a bonus in the form of one SS shim. (the shims are sort of a narrow washer). I think you may find the shim useful. It's always good to have a few extra O-rings on hand in case you need to replace one for whatever reason.

I received the envelope today in the mail. Thanks a million. Hopefully you will get down to Atlanta soon so I can repay my debt. With the interest I think I owe you a couple rounds. Thanks again!!

Happy Brewing!!

I may well stop by one day. I expect the AHA to hold their annual conference there before too much longer. I really want badly to visit Savannah before I die. One day the planets will align properly and it will happen.

I dropped the envelope into the mailbox this evening. I am sending eight of the O-rings and a bonus in the form of one SS shim. (the shims are sort of a narrow washer). I think you may find the shim useful. It's always good to have a few extra O-rings on hand in case you need to replace one for whatever reason.

I received the envelope today in the mail. Thanks a million. Hopefully you will get down to Atlanta soon so I can repay my debt. With the interest I think I owe you a couple rounds. Thanks again!!

Happy Brewing!!

Excellent! Good luck with your project!

She will be running through her first live run next Saturday. :mug:

2011-01-20_19-06-30_76.jpg

2011-01-20_19-40-27_669.jpg

The listed prices are not the current prices, so consider them as approximate:

WELDLESS CONVERSION (for kegs/coolers)

Get parts from wwww.mcmaster.com

McMaster Part No. Description Cost

4464K214 Stainless full coupling, 1/2" pipe size, $3.42

4830K171 Stainless Steel 1/2" Close Nipple, Fully Threaded, $1.69

98126A797 Stainless Steel Shim(sold only as a pack of 10 @ $10.38) $1.04

9396K32 Silicone O-Ring (sold only as a pack of 50 @ $14.53) $0.29 (x2)

4429K124 1/2" Locknut, Brass (with groove for o-ring) $1.30

4190K22 1/2" Brass Ball Valve, Full Port $6.

You can use this same bulkead/valve configuration for a cooler, but depending on which cooler you have, the wall thickness may vary. This may require a longer nipple or additional shims.

I wanted to revive this thread and say thanks for posting this. I'm in the process of putting together an all grain system together but had a tough time finding parts at Lowes/home depot. Copied and pasted part numbers and goods arrived a few days later. Parts were perfect for my cooler mash tun.

Thanks again-

Big Dave

Cost has gone up since 2011? :)

4464K214 Stainless full coupling, 1/2" pipe size, $3.42 (2015: $7.79)

4830K171 Stainless Steel 1/2" Close Nipple, Fully Threaded, $1.69 (2015: $2.18)

98126A797 Stainless Steel Shim(sold only as a pack of 10 @ $10.38) $1.04 (2015: $10.23 (pack of 5))

9396K32 Silicone O-Ring (sold only as a pack of 50 @ $14.53) $0.29 (x2) (2015: $6.04 (pack of 25))

4429K124 1/2" Locknut, Brass (with groove for o-ring) $1.30 (2015: $2.91)

4190K22 1/2" Brass Ball Valve, Full Port $6. (2015: $8.19 part number 4190K41)

For a total of: $37.34 before S/H.

Cost has gone up since 2011? :)

4464K214 Stainless full coupling, 1/2" pipe size, $3.42 (2015: $7.79)

4830K171 Stainless Steel 1/2" Close Nipple, Fully Threaded, $1.69 (2015: $2.18)

98126A797 Stainless Steel Shim(sold only as a pack of 10 @ $10.38) $1.04 (2015: $10.23 (pack of 5))

9396K32 Silicone O-Ring (sold only as a pack of 50 @ $14.53) $0.29 (x2) (2015: $6.04 (pack of 25))

4429K124 1/2" Locknut, Brass (with groove for o-ring) $1.30 (2015: $2.91)

4190K22 1/2" Brass Ball Valve, Full Port $6. (2015: $8.19 part number 4190K41)

For a total of: $37.34 before S/H.
This is likely because of the increase in demand as there are many more home brewers than 4 years ago... Also when it comes to the brass... the valve from 2011 wasnt likley lead free as all the new stuff is now because of new regulations.

This is likely because of the increase in demand as there are many more home brewers than 4 years ago... Also when it comes to the brass... the valve from 2011 wasnt likley lead free as all the new stuff is now because of new regulations.

And just plain old inflation.

And just plain old inflation.

most of those prices have more than doubled, If just inflation was the cause most things would be double or more in price since 2011 prices and thats not really the case at all... a lb of specialty grain for example was about $1.75 in 2011... its $2.00-2.25lb at most retail stores now..

I believe its more about supply and demand here... The more people want it the higher they can mark it up.

I certainly dont make double what I did in 2011 and I'm doing much better financially now then back then :mug:

In most cases as soon as any seller attaches the works "homebrewing" to a product for sale like say a kettle, you can expect the prices to increase about 25-50% homebrewing resellers are growing by leaps and bounds right now.

Believe me, home brewers did not cause McMaster-Carrs prices to go up.

Well the huge increase in resellers and DIY built systems that werent on the market 4 years ago for sale means a huge increase in bulk orders for inventory... If a place like mcmaster sees the sales of items increase they will raise the price to make more profit while having to move less inventory... I'm not saying I know its the reason for sure but I dont believe Inflation caused the huge increases in 4 years either...

most of those prices have more than doubled, If just inflation was the cause most things would be double or more in price since 2011 prices and thats not really the case at all... a lb of specialty grain for example was about $1.75 in 2011... its $2.00-2.25lb at most retail stores now..

I believe its more about supply and demand here... The more people want it the higher they can mark it up.

I certainly dont make double what I did in 2011 and I'm doing much better financially now then back then :mug:

In most cases as soon as any seller attaches the works "homebrewing" to a product for sale like say a kettle, you can expect the prices to increase about 25-50% homebrewing resellers are growing by leaps and bounds right now.

It literally makes me cringe to read some of the stuff you spew out.

Your options are based off nothing other than how you feel. Your basic understanding of supply/demand is fundamentally wrong. As demand increases prices fall unless there is scarcity. Scarcity is not an issue with Silicone o-rings that get produced in the millions.

Your opinion of sellers seeing an increase in sales of o-rings so they just randomly increase pricing is asinine. McMaster Carr sells maybe a couple thousand o-rings to the homebrew DIY market per year. Do you understand how small of a blip on their radar that is??

Well the huge increase in resellers and DIY built systems that werent on the market 4 years ago for sale means a huge increase in bulk orders for inventory... If a place like mcmaster sees the sales of items increase they will raise the price to make more profit while having to move less inventory... I'm not saying I know its the reason for sure but I dont believe Inflation caused the huge increases in 4 years either...

Again you literally have no idea how a free market system works and it's painful.

I know you'll write a 10 paragraph response to this trying to justify but before that happens does anyone know how to block users? Reading stuff like this being spewed just takes all the fun our of this forum for me SMH. EDIT: Found it, thanks!

It literally makes me cringe to read some of the stuff you spew out.

Your options are based off nothing other than how you feel. Your basic understanding of supply/demand is fundamentally wrong. As demand increases prices fall unless there is scarcity. Scarcity is not an issue with Silicone o-rings that get produced in the millions.

Your opinion of sellers seeing an increase in sales of o-rings so they just randomly increase pricing is asinine. McMaster Carr sells maybe a couple thousand o-rings to the homebrew DIY market per year. Do you understand how small of a blip on their radar that is??

Again you literally have no idea how a free market system works and it's painful.

I know you'll write a 10 paragraph response to this trying to justify but before that happens does anyone know how to block users? Reading stuff like this being spewed just takes all the fun our of this forum for me SMH. EDIT: Found it, thanks!

Still bitter about the stainless kettle thread I see... I don't recall anyone anyone who actually owned the products you were bashing actually agreeing with you and your professional statement "as an engineer" about the chinese pots rusting and cracking. Today your an economist I see. You don't have to agree with me... If you reread what actually said I stated I didn't know if the craft home brewing market was the only reason.. Just that I don't believe inflation caused all those prices to more than double in 4 years..

And I did pretty well in economics thank you, I had a 99 final average in that class.

Jesus H. Christ, from the sounds of it you both belong in third grade. Knock it off.

I was thinking a motel room? :ban::mug:

I kid I kid...

On topic, I had assumed it was due to the cost of materials. Copper had taken quite a rise. However looking at the charts for the last few years '11 was a copper high and it's been coming down size then. stumped

Latest posts

Back