foam problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackls1ttop

Reaction score
just got a new haier kegorater, i had it for almost a month now, the temp is set at 35 F liquid temp and pressure is set to 10psi and i did the 1/2 copper pipe modification to the tower and it extends into the fridge about 5 inches, and the beer is michelob lager 1/2 bbl the problem is when i pour my first beer i get more then half the cup full of foam and the foam rises and spills out the cup a bit, the cup right after words pours perfect with very little foam. i can see the air in the liquid when its pouring out the faucet. now is my problem due to the tower not being cold enough? i know the faucet itself is not that cold (only after pouring a beer) is the beer foaming when it hits the heat of the faucet? would extending the beer line help? or do i need a fan cooler? anything else it could be? thanks for you help guys, im still in the learning boat.

Mine typically likes to foam on the first pour (1/4 glass of foam?) and I believe it's due to a change in faucet temp. My lines are 10' and my fridge is set at 12 psi 37*F. I never get foaming after the first pour.

maybe after 10 mins i get foam again but not as much. did i overcarbonate the beer when i first had it set at 13 psi? i think my beer line is about 6" long i dont know if thats ok but its twisted inside the fridge but its not kinked or anything.

maybe after 10 mins i get foam again but not as much. did i overcarbonate the beer when i first had it set at 13 psi? i think my beer line is about 6" long i dont know if thats ok but its twisted inside the fridge but its not kinked or anything.

It sounds like the faucet is warm, causing the foaming in the first pint.

No, you didn't overcarb the beer at that pressure/temp combo. You see the reason why people get longer lines is due to the fact that per unit of line, you get a pressure drop and when you get the right amount of line, that pressure drop will be low enough to cause minimal foaming. With that route, there is no need to re-set your pressure for serving. Try purging the keg, setting your beer back at 10-12 psi, then pulling a pint and see if that helps.

No, you didn't overcarb the beer at that pressure/temp combo. You see the reason why people get longer lines is due to the fact that per unit of line, you get a pressure drop and when you get the right amount of line, that pressure drop will be low enough to cause minimal foaming. With that route, there is no need to re-set your pressure for serving. Try purging the keg, setting your beer back at 10-12 psi, then pulling a pint and see if that helps.

ok so turn off the co2 and purge the keg completly and then turn the co2 on? or should i do it with the co2 already on?

the first beer is always flat and then the rest are ok, but its not even 5 mins later the same thing happens again. i purged the keg completly. also when pouring the i feel its like spitting out the beer its not pouring down smooth.

when the beer pours into the cup it sounds like a soda bubbling when i put it to my ear. when i put in the keg i was still trying to adjust temp so at one point the keg was down to 30 F with the pressure at 13 psi.

Back