Fly/Continuous Sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msinning

Reaction score
I've been all grain brewing for about 1.5 years now using the batch sparging method, and have been getting efficiencies around 60%. Next brew will attempt fly sparging to try to get a better efficiency. Has anyone noticed a rise in efficiency after switching to fly sparging? Any tips would be much appreciated.

I have been fly sparging for awhile and just recently did a batch sparge. I hit my target pre-boil with the Batch sparge first go. I rarely hit my pre-boil with the fly sparge. With Fly sparging you have to dial in your set-up and that takes some trial and error getting flow rate right and all that. My system wasn't great. So I guess it's whatever works for you. Good luck!

Check your grain crush.

After reading a million times that the first thing to check into with poor efficiency is the crush I finally went to go to a different LHBS where they have a heavy-duty grain mill and my efficiency went up by 10%. My old LHBS has a shoddy mill that never works right.

If you don't have the option of another LHBS close by then try to double crush your grains.

I just finished brewing two 10 gal batches. A Sticke Alt and a Vienna Lager for "Novemberfest". I did a combo sparge on each. Set the fly to about half my normal rate and let'er rip. Both batches were on target, if not a little high. I've fly sparged for about 27 years and never had any issues, around 75% or better, but if I'm going go improve efficiency with a combo sparge I'm all for it!

I'm a keggle/false bottom/herms MT batch sparger.
I had access to a free 10 gallon cooler, so just for fun I made a new false bottom MT and tried fly sparging for the first time. Hit all my numbers perfectly and the MT kept good temp all the way through.
Two different systems... same crush... efficiency was exactly the same.

My guess would be the crush, but your false bottom vs. manifold vs. braid also makes a difference.

But, fly sparging is what the commercials do, because it optimizes efficiency. 1% makes a difference when you're brewing tens or hundreds of thousands of barrels a year...not so much for a homebrewer.

Would you be willing to try a different method of mashing if it could bring your efficiencies up? Would you be willing to spend a few dollars for your own mill to raise your efficiency by 10%?

I bought a cheap Corona mill that I hand crank. I set it tight as it would go and still turn and then did a batch BIAB, no sparge and hit 80% efficiency. Since that batch maxed out my kettle and I had to really be careful not to spill while mixing in the grain, the next batch I held back a little water and then poured it through the bag of grains and raised the efficiency to 85%. I'm not going to guarantee that you can hit that efficiency but mine has been nearly that high each time. This is the mill I bought. http://www.discounttommy.com/p-189-...er-for-wheat-grains-or-use-as-a-nut-mill.aspx

Back