flushing keg with co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolabrew85

Reaction score
How exactly do I do this before siphoning the beer in? Do I put the the lid on and hit the co2 and then remove it and fill her up or do I just hit the co2 for a few seconds w lid off right before? Or do do I do it after I fill it up before putting the lid on? I'm sort of in the middle, so quick respmse appreciated. Thanks!

This may not be the correct way of doing it...but. I siphon my beer into the keg, attach the lid, open the CO2, turn off CO2, open pressure release on keg, and repeat the process 3-4 times. My beers have never tasted like they have been skunky or any cardboard flavor. Hope this helps. Good luck :tank:

I put co2 in bottom for about 20 sec keg, siphon beer and toward top more co2 for about 10 sec then I put lid on.

After that I start carbonating. Never had issues.

I like to clean a bunch of kegs at once. Once they're clean, I'll mix up a full batch of Star San in one, then push it from one keg to the next. Last keg gets emptied into a bucket, so I can use the Star San for other things. This way all kegs get sanitized and fully purged at the same time, and are ready anytime for the next batch of beer.

I like to clean a bunch of kegs at once. Once they're clean, I'll mix up a full batch of Star San in one, then push it from one keg to the next. Last keg gets emptied into a bucket, so I can use the Star San for other things. This way all kegs get sanitized and fully purged at the same time, and are ready anytime for the next batch of beer.

This is an awesome idea! Thank you Mogrel!

To the OP, carbon dioxide should be heavier than oxygen. If you think of the CO2 almost as a liquid, then imagine "pouring" CO2 into the keg to push the lighter oxygen out. For example, visualize a bowl of punch with dry ice in it. The CO2 vapor from the melting dry ice fills up and then pours out of the bowl and falls onto whatever surface the bowl is sitting on, similar to adding more punch to the bowl. (But cooler looking and less messy!) :rockin:

By filling the keg with CO2 gas before adding beer, you can help reduce the chance of oxidization that may occur due to any splashing as the beer fills the keg. In other words, beer splashing in CO2 should not oxidize, but beer splashing in normal, breathable air can oxidize. Might not be a serious concern, but that's the science. :fro:

I, too, push a full load of Star San out from one keg to the next, but then I also hook up to the liquid out post and let CO2 run for 15-30 seconds. Once I start racking, I hook up to the gas in post and let CO2 flow at a slow rate for the duration of the transfer. Obviously a flare connection for the QD is useful.

It's true that CO2 is heavier than air, but don't think that you can really stratify the gases over any significant period of time. They'll mix and mingle pretty quickly, which is why I keep the flow of fresh CO2 going. And you might be surprised at how ineffective pushing liquid out of a container is at purging it of O2; I was. I thought if I had a container completely packed with liquid, pushed it out with CO2, and kept it sealed the whole time, it should remove all the O2, basically, but not so much. There's always little pockets or bubbles. That's why I also purge after I rack the Star San out.

Back