Flow Control and Line Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am about ready to make the move from picnic taps and kegs in a chest freezer to a two tap tower on an old mini-fridge. I've ordered an Intertap double flow-control tower.

Does the presence of flow control alter the equation for serving line length? I have the impression that serving line length does not matter with flow control, but I'd like to be sure I know what length I need before I start drilling holes and putting things together.

Never used flow control taps, but I remember reading someone on here running them straight from the disconnect without any lines and they had no issues...

But don't take my word for it...

I use flow control connected directly to the keg. Works great. No lines to clean!

366D333D-8E6A-42BB-B949-5A681D3B0E94.jpeg

Last edited:
I have flow controls, with 12 feet in there. They flow wide open at 12 psi. I can typically set the glass under the faucet, pull the handle, and just let it fill for a nice inch of head.

...I've ordered an Intertap double flow-control tower. Does the presence of flow control alter the equation for serving line length?...

I would say yes it does. The calculators and conventional wisdom say I need 12ft lines. My four lines are not all exactly the same length, but they are about 7ft long. I get great pours, even with the flow control wide open.

I think there is a little back pressure from the flow control device (even when wide open), plus I use 90deg adapters on the back of my shanks, which also adds a bit of resistance.

More than anything I use the flow control to reduce foaming on the initial pour, when the faucet is warm. I throttle down the flow control for the first few ounces, which controls foaming but gives enough flow to cool the faucet. Then I open it all the way up for the rest of the pour.

...I have the impression that serving line length does not matter with flow control...

The folks who are successfully using flow controls directly off the keg make a compelling argument for that.
Having the faucet cold (inside the fridge, as shown in the photo above) helps that to work.

The taps on your tower will not have that advantage, but that doesn't mean they won't work.

The folks who are successfully using flow controls directly off the keg make a compelling argument for that.
Having the faucet cold (inside the fridge, as shown in the photo above) helps that to work.

Good point. Even after I clean them I store them in the fridge so when I do connect them they are cold and ready to go.

I like it. I haven’t had any issues whatsoever and since I use a side-by-side fridge to serve from the thinner dia is a plus.

Latest posts

Back