Floating yeast in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
So I checked on my Plinian Legacy which has been fermenting for 3 weeks and I dry hopped it last weekend as stated in the directions. I noticed last week when I racked to secondary that there was still floating yeast on the top of the beer.

I've never seen this before so I am a bit worried but not overly worried. I will be doing the 2nd stage of dry hopping later this week.

The OG was 1.072, I used Wyeast American Ale, and the Gravity when I dry hopped last week was 1.012.

Here is a picture, what causes this and why is it happening? Is this still active yeast?

GetAttachment.jpg

My pliney the elder extract clone (morebeer) looks pretty much the same at 12 days in the primary. After 7 days those clumps started to drop, I have more laying on the trub now than are floating. I had about the same OG, and used white's California Ale with a 500ml starter. Have not snuck a gravity sample yet - have left it alone since pitching.

I still can see some activity and waiting to transfer to secondary and dry hop. It's still bubbling into the blow off about once every 10 seconds or so. I've kept a pretty steady 68 degrees so far.

Problem is I'm leaving out of town for a couple days, and I'm wondering if I should transfer and dry hop to the secondary before I leave or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well I had mine in the primary for 2 weeks, then a week in secondary dry hopping, then kegged it up. had a few of those globules in both carboys.

Final ABV was 7.6

I'm force carbonating it for another day, but my first taste test was outstanding.

------- at la casa and brew ------

Keg 1: Pliney the Elder Clone
Primary Fermenter: Empty
Secondary Fermenter: M80 IPA

Latest posts

Back