Floating hop mess

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Dry hopped Saturday by just throwing 2 oz of Centenial in the carboy. I am highly doubting this is going to settle to the bottom by this Saturday, when I plan to bottle. Thoughts? I've never dry hopped before.

Most of it should fall out if you cold crash even as late as Friday.

Had that problem last week. Wished i had used a hop bag. I just kept my siphon tip between the upper hop stuff and the yeast cake on the bottom of the bucket(dry hopped in my primary(mistake #2)). had the leave some precious beer in the bottom of the bucket.

Yooper said:
Just start the siphon in the middle (between the floaters and the trub) and lower the racking cane as the level of the beer lowers. It works great, and I do it all the time.

Next time I do an IPA, I really have to account for how much beer I'm losing due to trub.

Was it pellets or whole? When I use pellets and carry mine to cold crash in the garage usually 99% of the pellet mess drops before I get there. I would say try and agitate it a little, just be sure you don't slosh it around, cause splashes or bubbles and run the risk of oxidizing. just my 2c

If Whole Yoopers method is the best

fergyrock said:
Was it pellets or whole? When I use pellets and carry mine to cold crash in the garage usually 99% of the pellet mess drops before I get there. I would say try and agitate it a little, just be sure you don't slosh it around, cause splashes or bubbles and run the risk of oxidizing. just my 2c

If Whole Yoopers method is the best

Pellets. I'll see if I can do a little gentle "encouraging".

Glad I asked. I slowly tipped the carboy to a 45 degree angle 2-3 times and the vast majority of the mess raced to the bottom.

Fergy is right, just gently carrying the carboy any distance usually makes the hop scuz fall to the bottom, slowly. My last batch I dry hopped 8 days in secondary glass carboy and just about all of it had descended to the bottom by the time I was ready to cold crash and keg. I still used the siphon with a sanitized muslin bag around it just in case. The batch im dry hopping now shows no signs of dropping the hop pellet scuz but I'm sure it will when I jostle it a bit. Then 2 days to cold crash should have most of it settled out, hopefully.

Glad I asked. I slowly tipped the carboy to a 45 degree angle 2-3 times and the vast majority of the mess raced to the bottom.

Cool, Glad it worked for you!
If you can manage, a cold crash will really help finish it. When my garage is not cold enough on its own I put the carboy in a rubbermaid and fill with Ice and water, simple and effective.

Glad I found this post. I was wondering if/when the gunk would sink. Krausen fell about 5 days ago but still have a lot of floaties. Good to know this will probably sink after I carry to the kitchen

I ran into this problem yesterday. I dry-hopped an IPA and there was a ton of floating material still in the fermenter. I tried to avoid as much as I could, but even with 1 gallon left, it was picking up quite a bit of material. If I stopped there, I would have dumped about a gallon of IPA. Needless to say, that didn't happen.

I just started kegging so I put 12 lbs in the keg and pushed it to my other keg. I put a mesh screen over the faucet and pushed it through. I caught a lot of hop material with it. I got nearly to the bottom of the keg and it stopped flowing. I re-checked all my connections and everything was fine. I figured it was clogged and when I sloshed the keg around a bit it was very nearly empty. When I opened it up there was about a 1/2" of VERY hoppy beer at the bottom. And the poppet was clogged with hop material.

I bought a 400 micron hop screen from Chad and used it during a boil the other day, but it strangely didn't occur to me to use it. It would have worked much better.

Lessons learned:
- Use a hop bag
- Too much hop material will clog a keg

Back