Floaties in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT09NOV94

King Thompson’s Froth
Reaction score
Hey everyone so I’m new to BIAB. Only done three batches. I noticed that with the all grain brew that my wort has more floating particles in it compared to when I did extract brewing. Was wondering if anyone had any tips to get rid of them. Cheers

the floaties are just small pieces of grain or grain participles that got through the bag, or fell in when adding grain. Grain dust can get through bags also. Obviously with extract, that stuff is long gone when the extract gets canned. Get a good bag, the bags homebrew shops sell are very porous. The two best BIAB bags out there are sold by wilserbrewer BIAB Brew in a Bag or The Brew Bag-Designed for Brew In A Bag-This is your LAST brew bag! Personally I like the first one. A good bag can last for years, it may not be white anymore, but as long as it's rinsed off after brewing, it's still good to go.

Could be break material, could be grain particles. You can let it settle out before transferring to your fermenter, if you want.

I got a Hop Stopper to help keep massive amounts of hops out of my fermenter from IPAs; it seems to filter out some hot break as well.

One member on here saves the trub and wort from the bottom of the kettle and ferments it separately as a small batch; they say it finishes with a different taste.

I put a sanitized paint strainer bag in my bottling bucket and pour all the wort in there. I then pour the wort into the fermenter letting the bag catch what it can.

Latest posts

Back