Floaties in our carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LandoLincoln

Reaction score
Hopefully somebody can tell me what I'm looking at here.

scaled.php

My brewing partner and I brewed a pale ale with Cali Ale yeast. We kinda overfilled the 6.5 gal carboys and one of them had a blowout. I added a blowoff tube to the one that had a blowout and fermentation continued as normal. The fermentation was in a controlled temp environment at a steady 65 to 68°F for the whole fermentation.

So later I added some gelatin to clarify. I heated up some tap water to about 180°, added the gelatin, stirred until the gelatin was dissolved, then let cool to about 110 or so. I added half of the gelatin / tap water mixture to the bottom of a clean empty carboy, then racked to that carboy and repeated the process for the second carboy.

Two days later I lowered the temp of the fermentation chamber to 35-38° to cold crash it, then left them to cold crash for four days. Then we moved the carboys out of the fermentation chamber for bottling / kegging purposes.

I think I noticed these weird floaties (in both carboys, so it wasn't the blowout problem) after the addition of the gelatin, but possibly before (but probably during) the cold crash.

There's not a lot of them, but they are noticeable around the edges of the surface. No, the beer does not taste sour. We're planning on using a filtration system to make sure no floaties get into the kegs / bottles. Anyway...does this look like an infection or is this some coagulated strands of gelatin?

It could definitely be the gelatin, especially if you weren't able to mix while pouring it in, as is often the case. Having said that it does look somewhat like a pellicle starting, but I don't think it would be normal for there to be several small ones that all somewhat spontaneously arose.

Hey there, I had this in a batch a few weeks ago. Someone on here said it was just yeast balls basically. I continued as planned, and am drinking that batch now. Tastes great! My initial thoughts were infection as I ran into a few issues on brew day.
RDWHAHB
Cheers

take a sample and drink it. I have had infected brew and it tasted like someone mixed beer and vinegar with a hint of cat crap!!!!

Back