Flat oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
I brewed a Sam Smith oatmeal clone, only I accidentally mixed the wheat/barley DME (that was supposed to be my priming sugar) into the boil. So I got an OG about 1 point higher than expected. I then used about 5 to 8oz (can't remember) of regular DME mixed in a cup of boiling water as my priming sugar and bottled on 12/17. I chilled and opened a bottle on Christmas and it was good but flat. We tried another last night and it was still flat. I've never had a batch this flat for this long. Did I screw something up with adding the DME to the boil or using the wrong type of priming sugar?

Or could it be that my bottle caps aren't compatible with TurboDog (Abita Beer - short fat - think Sierra Nevada) bottles?

I would wait a few more weeks... an oatmeal stout is thick and the general rule is 3 weeks minimum for a simple brew. You are only a 2 weeks post bottling. Also, make sure you keep the bottles in a warm room.

You need about 1 1/4-1 1/2 cup DME to carb up 5 gallons of beer. I'm not sure "about 5-8 ounces" is a precise enough measurement to give you adequate carbonation.

In any case, it takes 3-4 weeks (sometimes longer) for DME to carb up the beer at 70 degrees. So you're quite a ways away from worry-time yet!

Even with sugar it takes my porter 4 weeks to carb. With DME I think it would take even longer (maybe even months). did you use a priming calculator to come up with the priming amount? 5-8oz is a big margin.

Your beer seems fine though, the only ingredient missing is time.

Back