flat beer sugar starved

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasquith

Reaction score
hey there my stouts horribly flat it tastes ok but its going to be difficult drinking thirty bottles of the stuff and I cant bear throwing them all away. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might put the fiz back in , I know why its flat, I changed from allways using demarera sugar, to dextrose and didnt take into account the weight difference it was short on sugar I'm thinking adding a solution of yeast and a little more sugar to the bottles to bring them back anyone tried it or know of a better idea thanks Ian

I would get a pack of neutral yeast and those single bottle measured sugar drop things and add those to each bottle.

john from dc said:
how long has it been carbonating?
hi john, its been carbonating for about two weeks now but having lmeasured now with a balnce of precision how much I actually (priming) put in I know it was one third of what it should have been I dont think the time scale is going to make a lot of difference on this one . I have some more yeast ready to put in along with sugar and here in Brazil I dont know if there are those "muntons tabs" here to carbonate I doubt it any ideas ?

Hopleaf said:
I would get a pack of neutral yeast and those single bottle measured sugar drop things and add those to each bottle.
hi hopleaf,
yeh I can go with the yeast but here in Brazil I dont think exist the little tabs to carbonate , make your own soda type thing , maybe I could use carbonate of soda ,sugar and yeast sounds dangerous but I am willing to try at least one bottle at a time . thanks Ian

What about just adding the rest of the priming sugar? Wouldn't you have enough yeast still alive in there to finish the job?
Just a thought.

I have a similiar question that i was going to wait to ask but here goes. I bottled my second batch a little less then two weeks ago. I was looking at the bottles the other day and there is very little yeast sediment on the bottom. I used the WLP001. My first batch used some Danstar ale yeast and after a week in bottles, there was already a thick layer of yeast on the bottom. I cracked one of the 2nd batch bottles open after a week and there was slight carbonation. I am going to try another one today to see if it improved or not. My question is, do certain styles or yeast strains leave less setiment on the bottoms of the bottles??? Thanks!

I will try adding just the missing sugar as Taq said first off, ive got a manometer rigged up to a fizzy drinks bottle so i will follow its progress over a couple of days at 70f if there is no pressure It must mean the extra sugar as no yeast to feed ie; all dead, then I could try adding yeast as well I even tried mixing it with a tin of beer last night it put the fiz back in but as its a stout it made it a bit watery .Ian

Back