Flaked Oats - Rancidity Issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackGoat

Reaction score
I recently read something that was pretty dated that mentioned that some brewers experience rancidity issues earlier when flaked oats are included in the mash. I'd like to add about 10% flaked oats to a high gravity Old Ale that I'm about to brew, which I plan to age for at least a year, and probably beyond. Does anyone have experience with beers that have been aged that used oats?

Not sure about how 'aged' you want. But the Oatmeal stout I brewed back in October is still on tap and delicious as ever. Not sure what in oats would cause the beer to become rancid, especially when there are no oats floating around in my keg. Just my 2 cents. :mug:

Not sure about how 'aged' you want. But the Oatmeal stout I brewed back in October is still on tap and delicious as ever. Not sure what in oats would cause the beer to become rancid, especially when there are no oats floating around in my keg. Just my 2 cents. :mug:

Thanks, the article mentioned something about it having to do with the oils in the oats. Like I said, the article was old so the info may be bad, but since I'm hoping to age much of the batch for 1+ years I'd rather avoid anything that could spoil it prematurely.

Back