Flaked maize mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vespa

Reaction score
Hello, at my LHBS, I asked if flaked maize should be steeped with specialty grains or added to the boil. They told me to steep it with the specialty grains and mixed it in with my carapils and crystal L60. Reading on the forums, I now see that I will have to mash it with an equal amount of base malt. My question - having only done 3 batches so far and all were extract - is can I mash the flaked maize still as it is mixed in with the adjuncts? If so, I assume this replaces the need to steep right? Also, it was 2lbs of flaked maize, so I should use 2lbs of 2 row correct? Thank you!

Hello, at my LHBS, I asked if flaked maize should be steeped with specialty grains or added to the boil. They told me to steep it with the specialty grains and mixed it in with my carapils and crystal L60. Reading on the forums, I now see that I will have to mash it with an equal amount of base malt. My question - having only done 3 batches so far and all were extract - is can I mash the flaked maize still as it is mixed in with the adjuncts? If so, I assume this replaces the need to steep right? Also, it was 2lbs of flaked maize, so I should use 2lbs of 2 row correct? Thank you!

Yep, you got it! add two pounds of two row to your "steep", and you've got yourself a mash!

I'd use 1.25-2 quarts of water per pound of grain, heat it up to 165, and then add the grain bag(s), stir well, and keep it at 150-160 degrees for an hour. Then simply lift out the grain bags, put them in a colander, and pour 170 degree water over it up to your boil volume. That's it!

Sweet! Thanks for the super fast answer. I'm really looking forward to doing this tomorrow! :rockin:

Latest posts

Back