Flaked Barley vs. Carapils / Carafoam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainArgo

Reaction score
Hey folks!
I'm about to attempt a Guinness clone for my good friend who loves the stuff. I'd like to try the "Ode To Arthur" recipe that seems well-loved around here, but I don't have the equipment or experience to do an all-grain batch. I know I can substitute some pale malt extract for the base malt, but I'm not sure about the other stuff.

From what I understand, flaked barley needs something to convert it during the mash, so if I want to use it I'd need to add 2-row or something as well. Is this the case?

Also, I know flaked barley is used to add some body and mouthfeel, and Carapils is supposed to do the same thing. Is there much difference between the two? If I simplified the recipe by substituting Carapils for the flaked barley + 2-row, would it have a noticeable effect on flavor?

This is what I have right now (for a 2.5gal half-batch):
1.5lbs Extra Light DME
0.75lb Flaked Barley
0.75lb Maris Otter
6.0oz Roasted Barley
4.0oz Carafa III
1.0oz Kent East Goldings@60min
1 pkg WLP0007 Yeast

Est OG: 1.044
Est FG: 1.011
Est ABV: 4.4%

I added the Carafa III because the estimated color seemed much too light without it, and bumping the roasted barley up I think would had added too strong a roasty flavor (it would have been about 16-17% to bring the color up where I wanted). The dash of Carafa III adds a lot of color and, from what I understand, doesn't impart too sharp a bitterness.

Thoughts? :)

Flaked barley will aid head retention and adds a fresh dry grainy quality and must be mashed. Carapils will also add head retention but add a bit of sweetness and can be steeped. If you decide to do a partial mash add 8 oz of each and a couple of pounds of Maris Otter pale malt, mash in a large nylon paint strainer bag at about 150f for an hour with 4 quarts of water. Remove and drain the grain, precede as normal. This is just one way to start a stout. Some fresh roasted malt or chocolate malt might also add some nice roasty flavors.

A couple lbs of Maris Otter, really? Is that much necessary to convert the flaked barley? If so I guess I won't need much DME :)

I'm sure the chocolate malt would be tasty, too, but from what I've read that would probably bring me further away from the Guinness flavor I'm looking for. I'm mostly just trying to replicate the simple base malt + flaked barley + roasted barley composition, except with extract instead of base malt.

Thanks for confirming that I will need another malt to convert the barley, though, and for the tips on Carapils. Looks like I'll have to do a partial mash, as it sounds like the Carapils/Carafoam isn't going to have the same effect on flavor as the flaked flaked barley will.

You could probably get away with a pound of maris otter but if your gonna mess around with a partial mash use as much fresh malt as possible. This is how people start doing full BIAB. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back